Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9172 blue screen of death

I've recently started to use a cDAQ-9172 system with my LabView 8.5.1 software. Unfortunately, I get the "Blue Screen of Death" each time I use it. This has happened on both the Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems. The program runs OK for some time and then the computer crashes. In XP, when the computer restarts there is a message saying the blue screen was caused by an unknown driver. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,377 Views)

Hi gcon,

I need some more information to be able to assist you with this, like what is the specific module you are using on the 9172? Are you doing generation or acquisition? what version of DAQmx you are using?

In general, it is a good practice to update to the latest version of the driver.

Regards,

Faris

Bueller
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,360 Views)

Hi Bueller,

The module I've been using is NI 9219. I'm doing acquisition of thermocouple data from it. The DAQmx VI's (is this what you mean by version?) I'm using with it are Create Channel (AI-Temperature-Thermocouple) and Read Channel (Analog DBL 1Chan 1Samp). The drivers and Labview were installed with the version 8.5.1 DVD ROM. How can I find more recent versions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,353 Views)
Hi Gcon,

I ment by version is the DAQmx driver version.
Sometimes this blue screen occurs when there's a memory leak in the VI. Is there a while loop in the VI?
If there's , a good practice is to place the start task and stop task outtside the while loop.

I think it would help more if you can post your code.

Regards,
Faris
Bueller
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,338 Views)
Thanks for your reply. The NI-DAQmx driver is v. 8.7.1f2. I'll try moving the Create, Start and Stop DAQmx tasks outside of the while loop with only the Read task inside. 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,333 Views)
Please let me know how it goes.
Meanwhile, I'll be researching more about the possible causes of this.

Regards,
Faris
Bueller
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,309 Views)
Your suggestion to move the DAQmx tasks outside of the while loop looks like it works. The data acqusition rate is much faster and the program now runs without crashing. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,296 Views)

Glad that it worked.

Happy Monday.

Regards,

Faris

Bueller
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,272 Views)
Just a quick followup.  The most common cause of a memory leak is not using the "Clear Task.vi".  Without it, each time you create a task (either explicitly or implicity with a create channel) you're leaking the previous task.  It doesn't take many iterations of task leaks before you run out of memory.
------
Zach Hindes
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,262 Views)