From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

audio card vs DAQ card AI16XE-50

hi,
I use labview 5.1 and acquire data from line in port using sound VIs.Can somebody help me with comparison of audio cards and the above card AI 16XE 50? The SI was configured as mono , 11025 , 16 bit which I assume means sampling at 11025 hz. The PCMCIA compatible DAQ card( 16 bit ) is expected to sample at 20 Ks/s ( I am not sure if it is 200Ks/s if I use only one differential channel ). My Q is
Can I use the DAQ card instead of the audio card and not degrade the performance.
The sound card is PnP compatible ,made by ESS technology Inc. and has the following driver: ES1689.VXD.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks
ananth
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,491 Views)
Ananth,

A typical sound-card (don't know about your model) is not designed with T&M applications in mind, but for adding audio functionality to a PC.
This is a consumer/game market where specifications can often not be taken for granted.
A DAQ card is intended for T&M applications and is designed for that application (in this case 16 bit resolution measurements).
However, theory is not always as it is in real life.
Test both cards yourself and possibly help the LV community by publishing your findings.
Oh, yes, I think the DAQcard is better aspecially for DC measurements.

Greetings,

Patrick de Boevere
Serenity systems design
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,491 Views)
Hello;

I would say that DAQ boards are best fit for the application you have there.
They are designed to acquire data and transfer to the PC as opose to the Sound Cards that are designed to only play the sound to the speakers.

Hope this helps.
Filipe A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,491 Views)