From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

acceleramoter with scb-68

Solved!
Go to solution
 I've been attempting for 3 days now to try to get some sort of signal out an accelerometer the hardware I have is as follows: NI PCI-MIO-16Escb-68I have several accelerometers that I can use all of which have a BNC type plug. How do I go from the BNC plug to the wire layout of the SCB-68 (I have a connection that enables the connection of BNC and it outputs two wires can I perhaps use this?) Where do the wires go... I’ve attempted to connect it to Al0 and Al0- but no luck... nothing comes up on the 'Measurement & Automation' software The accelerometers that I have are: PCB 086c03, PCB 353b17, PCB353B03....  How do I go about getting any sort of readout or to get this configures... Sorry if the question seems elementary Regards
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,436 Views)

NEW INFO:

The accelerometer is a single ended output type. The excitation voltage is 18-30 V

I connect one of the wires from the sesor to ACH0 and the other one to the + of the power source and i use the test pane under the Measurement and Automation application I get no response... I have the channel properly selected and I have NRSE selected under the input configuration. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,426 Views)

You need a ground return path- connect the power supply ground to the analog input ground on the DAQ card.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,423 Views)

The accelerometers you are using require an ICP power supply.  This is a constant current source of 2ma or more and a constant voltage of 16V or more.  NI makes several devices with the required power.  Regular DAQ board power supplies WILL NOT WORK.  So the reason you do not get the accel to work, is it is not properly powered. 

Consider the USB-9234 or the NI-9234 in a CompactDAQ chassis.  This device is designed to work with accelerometers.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/204481

You can equip your DAQ board with a ICP power source using our SCC modules:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/12312

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202603

You can create a 2 wire to BNC cable with one of these:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/1721 - look at the BNC connector panelette

Let us know how this helps. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,421 Views)

Thanks a lot for the help. It seems like something is perhaps wrong with the DAQ card or my SCB-68 the reason being is that when I attempt to connect a DC power supply to the ACH0- and ACH0 and go into the test panel to see if it reads a voltage diffrencial I don't get anything, i'm inputting between 0 to 5 volts. Also the 5 volt power output on the SCB-68 reads nothing when i put a voltmeter up to it. The DAQ card passes its self test so i'm assuming that in terms of set up its correct in that aspect. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,407 Views)

Yes, I think you are missing something.  The sensor requires 16 to 30V DC and 2 to 6ma of current.  The power on the DAQ board does not provide this power. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,402 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Asabti

The problem was with the installation of the PCI card. I changed the PCI slot and it worked perfect. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,398 Views)