Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing a 5V digital signal from an NI USB 6009

Hello! 

I'm relatively new to this, and I'm working on a project in which I need to output three signals, two of which need to vary in between 0 and 5V and the third of which needs to be either 0 or 5V. I've set up the first two in the AO0 and AO1 analog ports, and the third in the +5V digital port. I have the LabView program set up to control the AO0 signals and the AO1 signals, but is there any way to make it so that I can turn the 5V signal on or off? I have it set up in the program with an on/off switch, but when I open the DAQ assistant to look for the channel, it does not show up. That results in an error when I try to run the program (there are 2 channels in the task but 3 in the data). 

Is there any way to rectify this? I'm fairly sure (based on what I've read on the forums), that I cannot adjust the 5V signal to change the voltage, but is there any way to allow the program to run (so that I can adjust the AO0 and AO1 signals) and turn the 5V output on and off at the same time within LabView? Or do I need a second DAQ controller? In the future, I would like to be able to vary the third signal between 0 and 5V, but based on what I've read here and in the manual, this isn't possible (?). 

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Regards, 

Arianna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,478 Views)

Analog out and digital out channels have to be in differnt tasks or DAQ assistants.

What 5V signal are you talking about?  Pin 31?  Pin 31 is just 5V out, there is no control.  If you want to control a digital channel you can use pin 17 (p0.0, Port 0 Line 0).  With a digital chennel you can have 0V or 5V, but remember there is very low current.  So depending on what you want to do you might have to use a relay.

If you just want to control the 2 analog outputs through the DAQ assistant you can only wire in 2 controls.  If you only setup 2 channels in the assistant and try to give it 3 different commands you get your error.  So setup the digital out in a different DAQ assistant with a boolean to sontrol the channel.  You should eventually start using MAX instead of the assistant to make things easier.

I am not sure what you want to do with the 3rd channel in the future.  If you want it to act like an AO you will need additional AO channels, which the 6009 does not have, so you will need more hardware.

Message 2 of 3
(3,474 Views)
Thank you!! I think that answers my question (I think that I need to be using Pin 17 to control the 5V in/out). I do eventually want the third channel to act like an AO in the future, but the current setup I have uses 2 6009s and I'd rather not have to use both (which I suppose means settling for having the third channel be either 0 or 5 volts).

Much appreciated! Thanks again! And I'll look into MAX (as I said, pretty new and trying to catch onto what works best with the setup).

Arianna
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,468 Views)