From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 hangs when trying to go to sleep withUSB-6210 attached.

My computer with Windows 7 often hangs or crashes when trying to go into sleep mode when USB-6210 DAQ is plugged into the computer.  The first time that I try to put my computer into sleep mode after rebooting, everything seems to work fine, but after waking the computer and trying to sleep it a second time, the system hangs.  The monitor shuts off, but the power LED on the computer is still illuminated.  If I unplug the USB-6210 at this time, the computer goes to sleep immediately and can be woken later without any obvious trouble.  Occassionally, the computer just crashes when I try to sleep it with the USB-6210 attached (indicates that Windows did not shut down properly when I restart it).  I have several other USB devices such as hard drive, mouse, keyboard, USB-9162 with NI 9481 attached to the computer, but have isolated the problem to the USB-6210.  The problem does not happen if everything but the USB-6210 is connected and happens if the USB-6210 is the only thing connected.  This problem does not seem to happen on my Windows XP Pro machine. 

System configuration:

Laptop with Intel i5

Windows 7 Home Premium

NI-DAQmx 9.2.3

LabView 2010 32 bit (not running at the time)

USB selective suspend is enabled in the power settings

Any suggestions about what could be the problem and/or the fix?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,465 Views)

Do you have anything connected to the USB-6210 when you try to put the computer to sleep?

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
Message 2 of 6
(3,463 Views)

Some analog inputs of the 6210 are connected to some passive circuitry, which is connected to some of the digital outputs of the 6210.  When I disconnected the 6210 from the circuitry, the problem seemed to go away.  I then reconnected the circuitry, but the problem did not seem to return.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,459 Views)

Are any of the digital outputs sourcing current when you try to put the computer to sleep (e.g. driving a line high)?  It's possible that there is a continuous power draw from the USB bus that is higher than the USB spec allows in suspend mode.  I would recommend disconnecting your circuitry before putting the computer to sleep.

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,419 Views)

EDIT: Double post for some reason.

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,419 Views)

I don't believe that the digital outputs are sourcing much current when the computer tries to sleep.  The load on the digital outputs is around 6k ohms.  I have not explicitly set the outputs high and a multimeter indicates no voltage across the load (the outputs must default either low or tristate).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,390 Views)