From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my card have a 12 volt dc offset

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently got my card working under linux and I've been running a few of the example programs written in c.

I hooked up a signal generator to my card, with the signal going into AD0 and the ground plugged into AD GND.  I also have the same signal going into an oscilloscope and a volt meter (for sanity checking).  I have found that the voltage being measured in my program is coming out around 12 volts more negative then what I'm putting in.  

At first I thought it might be the signal generator that was producing the 12 Volt DC offset but this doesn't make sense for 2 reasons. The volt meter is measuring the correct voltage across the input leads into my NIDAQmx - 6254. 

I've attached the code I'm using...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,904 Views)

I've tried calibrating the card using both the internal and external calibration function calls:

DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxSelfCal("Dev1"));
DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxInitExtCal("Dev1", "NI", &calHandle));

But the voltages I'm reading out still have the DC offset.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,880 Views)

Dear nerostu,

That is a quite interesting behavior. What if you measure a known voltage source such as a battery to see what kind of reading do you get on your M series card. What kind of range did you choose? Do you have any custom scaling activated?

Regards,
Efrain G.
National Instruments
Visit http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/ for step-by-step help in setting up your system.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,871 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author neurostu

Thanks for your reply, I actually just figured out what was wrong, I feel pretty stupid but the example script was referencing AI0 against AI1 and not against ground, which is what I assumed it did. When I fixed this the DC offset went away.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,869 Views)