cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if using 12V to USB-6501 or USB-6002 's digital input port

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I am a vehicle test engineer。I'm going to buy DAQ test equipment for the company。

Gentlemen, please answer the following questions for me.What if using 12V to USB-6501 or USB-6002 's digital input port?

12V is often used in vehicle specification product development,I read the product manual. The input voltage range is 5V, but I also noticed that there will be voltage protection. I want to use this device to distinguish the digital logic level of 0V and 12V. 0V is 0 and 12V is 1. I want to know whether connecting 12V to the digital port for a long time will damage the equipment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------manual  of 6002 said-----------------------------------------------------

Input voltage protection ............................................................................±20 V on two lines per port (maximum of five
lines for all ports) for up to 24 hours

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,215 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zion1024

Yes, it will damage the device beyond recovery or even beyond repair.

These are 5V logic level compatible Instruments and for example, 6501 specification states not to exceed 5.8V on digital inputs.

santo_13_0-1633704599191.png

In terms of your voltage threshold to detect a logic high or low, it is as below,

santo_13_1-1633704672386.png

This should be interpreted as any signal between -0.3V and 0.8V are detected as Logic Low and anything between 2.0V and 5.8V are interpreted as Logic High.

If you are still inclined to use this hardware you can use optocoupler or logic level translators between the instrument and your 12V system.

Something like this - https://www.omega.com/en-us/data-acquisition/signal-conditioners/din-rail-signal-conditioners/p/DR-I...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 5
(1,179 Views)

Thank you for the idea of optocoupler!

Please allow me to ask for more, In Analog input condition,6002 seems to be able to withstand 12V directly for long time (less than 24hours) test ? is it right?(Of course, the maximum read value is 10V)

And,Is there any other low cost equipment(best with USB) that can directly handle with 12V signal?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,166 Views)
Solution

Any voltage rating beyond typical operating is dangerous for the instrument. I would not connect anything beyond 10V to the Analog Inputs.

I would suggest USB-6525 for the 12V Input/Output application.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.usb-6525.html

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 5
(1,140 Views)
Solution

Okey、thank you for reply

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,105 Views)