From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens with E-Series card when the computer is off?

A coworker of mine has observed something odd when the computer is turned off. He is using a PCI-MIO-16E-4 to measure the output of a 4-20mA sensor across a 250 Ohm resistor. He also has a DMM measuring this voltage. When the computer is on, the DMM reading is fine. The DMM reading agrees with the values obtained from a LabVIEW program using the DAQ card. However, when the computer power is turned off (and the DAQ card is still hooked up as to take a reading) the DMM's measurement drops from 3.7 to 3.4 Volts (for example).

It would seem that the card is no longer being a high-impedance device, as voltage measuring equipment should be.

Any ideas on what is causing this problem?

Thanks,
Melissa Niesen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,223 Views)
Melissa,

In reading the E-series user manual, I see that the analog input amplifier characteristics are as follows:

Normal powered on..........100 Gigaohm in parallel with 100 pF
Powered off................820 ohm min.

If this is indeed the case, you may be seeing that 820 ohms making a difference when the card is powered down by turning off the PC.

Mark
Message 2 of 3
(2,223 Views)
Well, I calculated that it should be a little over 2000 Ohms, so that would be within spec for the amplifier.

Thanks!
Melissa
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,223 Views)