Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the ENET-9213 with Wonderware OPC

Has anyone here been successful with using the ENET-9213 with Wonderware's OPC client (i.e., FactorySuite Gateway)?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,223 Views)

Are you using NI-OPC server?  DAQmx can act as an OPC that publishes data. Is there a reason you need to use the Wonderware OPC client?

This link discusses DAQmx's OPC capabilities.  Any client that supports OPC versions 2.0 or 3.0 shoudl work to read the data.

Jon S

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,206 Views)

Jonathan,

No, I am not using NI-OPC server. I am attempting to use the OPC server National Instruments Variable Engine which is installed with the ENET-9213 driver software.

The reason I need to use the Wonderware OPC client (FactorySuite Gateway 2.0) is because the temperature data from three ENET-9213 units needs to be displayed on Wonderware InTouch HMI/SCADA screens (an also logged into its historical database for trending, reports, etc.).

I went to the web page you provided a link for (thanks but I found and read that web page prior to my posting here) but it doesn't give much information on how to access NI Variable Engine items using third-party OPC clients; it mostly just covers using LabVIEW.

To the best of my knowledge, Wonderware's FactorySuite Gateway 2.0 uses the OPC Foundation's Data Access 2.05a specification.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,195 Views)

Hi,

How are you writing your data to the shared variable engine?  Have you had any luck doing so?

Jon

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,169 Views)

Jon,

Thanks for replying. Over the past few days I figured out how to get data from the ENET-9213 units into Wonderware's OPC client.

In MAX, I added three ENET-9213 units under Devices and Interfaces \ Network Devices. Each units is configured to have a static IP address. After that I added a channel under Data Neighborhood \ NI-DAQmx Global Virtual Channels, exported MAX's configuration to a text file (configData.txt), edited the file to add the remaining 47 channels, then imported the text file into MAX. I then rebooted the computer and using NI's ServiceExplorer, found that data was being read from the ENET-9213 units into NI's Variable Engine OPC server.

In Wonderware's SMC (ArchestrA System Management Console), I added the FactorySuite Gateway 2 OPC client and configured it to read all forty-eight items (channels) from NI's Variable Engine OPC server.

The above is working but now I am having a problem with some of the channels from the ENET-9213 units failing to report data. Sometimes as many as half of the channels fail to report, and it's not always the same channels that fail; the failing channels change after rebooting the computer. Any thoughts about that?

Calvin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,163 Views)