Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using USB-6259 OEM with Digital Waveform Editor 2.0

I am working with the USB-6259 DAQ using the NI Digital Waveform Editor to simulate a controller on a bidirectional bus. I need to be able to generate and acquire data on successive clock cycles by tri-stating the DIO on the DAQ as supported by the hardware explained in the M-Series manual section 6-2.

I know in previous versions of the Digital Waveform Editor, it was required to stop all action on the bus, tri-state the DIO, and then resume action. E.g. load one waveform, tri-state, and then load another waveform.

I need to know if DWE 2.0 supports tri-stating the USB-6259 DAQ card fluidly. If so, how do I do it? Do I need to pull high DO.x Direction Control on the tri-state buffer via a separate signal line in DWE, or can I simply tri-state (“High-Z”) the DIO that I am reading/writing on then expect the data to be filled in?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,163 Views)

Hi endoergic,

You should be able to simply set a high impedance level with the DWE and read and write using tri-state.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Luke
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,152 Views)
You can use the NI Digital Waveform Editor to create bidirectional waveforms which will simulate your controller; however, in order to run waveforms containing the "Z" state you must be using a card that supports tri-state on the fly. The USB-6259 does not have the capability to tri-state on the fly, so you will not be able to implement the Z states.  Instead you will need to:
  1. Start a generation session
  2. Generate data
  3. Stop the generation session
  4. Start an acquisition session
  5. Tri-state the lines
  6. Read the appropriate data
  7. Close the acquisition session
  8. Repeat as needed

I realize this may not be acceptable behavior for your application. If you need the ability to write data and tri-state the lines on the fly, all this being hardware timed, I recommend using the PCI/PXI-6551/2 devices. These devices will be able to implement the behavior you described.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help.

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,109 Views)

Hello everyone,

I want to use the DAQ card usb-6259-oem for my project. the Problem is, i actually don't know where i can buy it. I searched on NI-Website but i didn't find something.

Could you please tell me where i can find it?

Do you know a Card better than DAQ card usb-6259-oem?

thanks

Maestro-Roland

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,087 Views)