From Thursday, May 23rd (05:00 PM CDT) through Friday, April 24th (1:30 AM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read voltage correctly from photodetector.

I am trying to do something very simple, but am new to Labview.  I simply want to read a voltage input from a photodetector.  I am trying to use the DAQ solution wizards' prefab VI to do this, but the voltage output from the detector isn't making it to the computer.  The interface consists of:

-photodetector

-CB-68LP I/O board

-PCI-6023E DAQ

-LabVIEW 6.1 on windows XP

After configuring a virtual channel (which I may be doing incorrectly) to use with the VI, the voltage just maxes out a 5V and stays there even though the input is <3V.

Any ideas would help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,880 Views)

Hi,

I am curious as to what pins you are using when connecting your photodector to the CB-68LP (6023E).  It seems to me as if there is a grounding problem with your signal source.  Here is an article that shows how to connect a grounded and ungrounded signal source to the analog input on your DAQ card.  There is a table toward the middle of the document that shows some different connections.

Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3344

If you have the proper connection, I would recommend to try out some of the Shipping Examples with Traditional DAQ.  Here is how to find those examples:

Where are the LabVIEW Traditional NI-DAQ Examples?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/46D0C7360A10D25F862571B5007B4411?OpenDocument

Once here, navigate to daq>>anlogin>>anlogin.llb and try one of the analog input examples.

Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,850 Views)

I was plugging in directly to pins 28 & 29, but after reading some of your first reference, I see there may be more to it.  I tried using the suggested configuration for a NRSE, but this time I see zero signal instead of saturation.  To be more specific here is what I was doing:

Channel configuration selections:

-analog input

-single ended non-referenced

-AI -4

Use "Continuous Voltage Measurement" from the DAQ solutions wizard and select the channel I configured above.

Wiring:

-BNC from photodetector 

- + wire into AI4

- - wire into AI sense

- a line from each( with a 10K resistor)into AI GND

Any corrections/suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,837 Views)

What is the expected voltage range of the output of the photodetector? Can you provide the manufacturer and model number?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,826 Views)

I would say the expected output of the PD is from 0-5V, but that is completely variable as I am not interested in the absolute power.  I only need a relative measurement of the power fluctuation of the laser .  I am using a Thorlabs DET110, with a pulsed laser centered at 800 nm(~100fs pulse, 1kHz reprate, ~1mJ pulse).  After you brought this up, I noticed that Thorlabs recommends a load resistor between the BNC and measuring device.  This might have had something to do with the saturation. 

Any ideas on the setup would be welcome.  I just want it to be robust and consistent.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,810 Views)

Yes, a load resistor is required in order to convert the current to a voltage that you can read. Also make sure the battery in the unit is good- and the power switch is on too 🙂

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,803 Views)
I have a load resistor for the photodetector, and the voltage going into the I/O board is ~1.5V.  I'm still saturating at 5V though when I run the VI (even when the photodetector is turned off and blocked).  I'm not sure what the problem is. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,784 Views)
What is the load resistance value you are using?  How do you have everything connected now?  Also, since your photodetector is a floating source you can also use a single ended ground reference mode instead.  This connection will use the AI for the positive termial and AIGND for the negative terminal.
Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,770 Views)

I was using a 50 ohm resistor and 50 ohm BNC as Thorlabs recommended.  However, I have changed the setup to RSE (+ on AI6 and - on AI GND), with the same result:  saturation at 5V.  I ran a test on the channel I configured with MAX, and simultaneously checked the input voltage to the I/O board with a digital multimeter.  As soon as I touched the multimeter probes to the inputs, the level of the test dropped from 5V to the correct voltage around 2.5V.  I checked the same pins on the I/O board with a AA battery, and the readings were normal which makes me think there isn't necessarily a grounding issue with the board itself, but a grounding problem with the photodetector.

Any ideas on what this means, and how to fix it?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,758 Views)

I was using a 50 ohm resistor and 50 ohm BNC as Thorlabs recommended.  However, I have changed the setup to RSE (+ on AI6 and - on AI GND), with the same result:  saturation at 5V.  I ran a test on the channel I configured with MAX, and simultaneously checked the input voltage to the I/O board with a digital multimeter.  As soon as I touched the multimeter probes to the inputs, the level of the test dropped from 5V to the correct voltage around 2.5V.  I checked the same pins on the I/O board with a AA battery, and the readings were normal which makes me think there isn't necessarily a grounding issue with the board itself, but a grounding problem with the photodetector.

Any ideas on what this means, and how to fix it?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,758 Views)