From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add networked cDAQ-9184 to NI MAX

Hello, I'm facing a rather odd situation:

Setup

• I have 2x cDAQ-9184 chasses on my local network, both with exactly the same C-series modules plugged in
  • My laptop has NI MAX 14.5 and NI-DAQmx 14.5 installed
  • My laptop is running Windows 8.1 x64
  • My laptop's firewall is fully disabled
  • The cDAQ chasses and my laptop are all under DHCP
    • Laptop: 172.16.205.56
    • 1st cDAQ: 172.16.205.77
    • 2nd cDAQ: 172.16.205.79

Observations

• My laptop can access both chasses via Internet Explorer (NI Web-based Configuration and Monitoring)
  • My laptop cannot auto-detect the chasses under NI MAX -> My System -> Devices and Interfaces -> Network Devices
  • I could manually add one chassis by typing in its IP address (172.16.205.79)
  • I could not manually add the other chassis by typing in its IP address (172.16.205.77) -- NI MAX says, "The device you requested could not be found on the network"

What could be causing this? (In case it's related, I also noticed that my NI MAX cannot auto-detect cRIOs that run Linux RT, but it can auto-detect cRIOs that run VxWorks)

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,126 Views)

Hi JKSH, 

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the following KnowledgeBase Article titled "Why Does My Netowrked Device Not Show UP in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?"

Shalini M.
Partner Development Engineer
Alliance Partner Network
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,080 Views)

Are you using some kind of a corporate network?

Are you sure communication on all necessary ports is allowed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,059 Views)

Thanks for your replies, Shalini and stockson.

@Shalini.M wrote:

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the following KnowledgeBase Article titled "Why Does My Netowrked Device Not Show UP in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?"

Unfortunately, those automated instructions are for CompactRIOs (under "Remote Systems"). They can't be used for my CompactDAQs (under "My System -> Devices and Interfaces -> Network Devices")

@stockson wrote:

Are you using some kind of a corporate network?

Are you sure communication on all necessary ports is allowed?

As I said in my original post, my firewall is completely disabled. There's no corporate network, and all ports are open.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,956 Views)

So, I tried with another computer an noticed that the "undiscoverable" cDAQ shows a glitch in one of the module names:

Good cDAQ

cDAQ-9184-discovery-ok.png

Glitched cDAQ

cDAQ-9184-discovery-bugged.png

(Remember: I was able to manually add the good cDAQ to NI MAX, but couldn't do that for the glitched cDAQ.

So, I removed the glitched module from Slot 3, rebooted the cDAQ, and voila I could add it without any issues. After that, I put the module back into Slot 3 and the glitch was gone and the system continued working just fine.

What could have caused that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,953 Views)