Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB6009 - Self Test Pass, but no functionality

Hi, I have a USB6009, that I have used many times, attempting to use it again now.

1. In MAE, Its recognised and passes self-test, though i conclude the self-test is simplistic and doesn't test functionality in any form?

2. LED blinks as it should.

3. I get nothing out of the AO outputs; used at test channel and measured independently.

4. I get nothing on the AIs, RSE & DIFF using the AOs as test outputs and applying voltage from separate source.

5. I resoldered the connector sockets on the pcb in case there was any dry-joints, clutching straws at this point?

I think the unit is dead, the pcb looks fine, likely damaged/failed internally? But is there something i can try/test/check before it goes into the bin?

Thanks in advance.

J. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,280 Views)

In terms of testing it, you can use the Test Panels in NI MAX to generate or acquire voltages using external signal sources. If it cannot acquire or generate those signals, it is dead.

Using Test Panels ensure that you're good on software side and if you're confident that you made the right connection, then only reason data would not show up is because of a faulty HW.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,261 Views)

hi santhosh,

thanks for your response.

yeah, im testing in MAX. Assuing SW is good given the comms/responses I get?

Confident with the connections, I've gone through the lot on the analogue side.

As I suspected the HW has failed.

Regards,

j.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,241 Views)

Please ensure you've tested the following cases,

1. To test AO, connect DMM leads in DCV in 20V range or equivalent across AO and AGND
    • Source voltage using test panel and verify using DMM
  2. To test AI, connect a known voltage or even a potentiometer wiper to AI, ends of a potentiometer to AGND and 5V terminal on DAQ
    • Measure using test panel and adjusting potentiometer
  3. Test DO similar to AO
  4. Test DI by connecting the DI to 5V or DGND

If you've done all these and still nothing works, you have got a dead board. Given that this board is one of the cheapest, you can just get a new one instead of spending time to debug and fix it.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,236 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

I have already tested it as you describe; external measurement of output and external voltage source. Absolutely zero on all accounts.

I won't bother testing the digital port(s), I can't see the point if analogue side is dead?

As you say, it's an entry level USBDAQ, they're not expensive, how much time do you spend convincing yourself it is broke?

Regards,

J.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,225 Views)

Given it is such a simple device and if I use it for work, I would spend not more than 30mins on debugging it, because I know how it should work, if it doesn't, then it is broken.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,221 Views)