Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-TC01 simulated device?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a customer with a USB-TC01 and I'd like to render help before the arrival of a device I just ordered. Is it possible to create a simulated TC01 device in NI-MAX? I just installed version 19.5

Thanks!

John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,920 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author WM_John_Weeks

Hi John,

It looks like it is not possible to simulate the USB-TC01 in MAX. You can simulate other USB DAQ devices that are going to look pretty similar in NI MAX, so you could try using that so that you can get started programming. Then once you have the actual hardware, you would need to go back and change the device alias in your code.

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,598 Views)

Thanks, Jordan

The only other device I find that handles thermocouples is the PCIe-4353. They are quite expensive, especially after buying the required TC junction block! But I can make a simulated device. Any device can be operated in demand timing mode, so that should give me what I need.

Thank you!

John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,589 Views)

Hi Elcalverado, 

I'm new in USB-TC01. Do you know why the USB-TC01 measures wrong the temperature with thermocouple K type. In office temperature 24 degree, I got value measured increase from 24 degree to 31 degree in the duration about 10 minutes. 

Thank

NTK 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,396 Views)

Where is your TC-01 device? I'm a software developer, so I don't have actual hot things to measure. Mine is on my desk. It seems to work fine. I saw strange step-wise increases as the temperature on my desktop changed; I finally realized that the cold junction (or whatever they use as a cold junction) is at nearly the same temperature as the thermocouple, so I'm probably effectively using th cold junction to measure the ambient temperature.

Also, at one point my feet got cold, so I moved the thermocouple to the floor. It was five degrees colder than my desktop! If your thermocouple is near your computer or computer screen, it could be measuring the heat from your equipment.

John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,392 Views)

I'm measuring my desk too. Measuring using cold junction is a great idea. However, my cold junction is always 34 degree that seem not correct. The value of thermocouple is 31 degree.  I don't think it hot like that. May be that is because the Infrared radiation from human or PC. I have to check with a calibrated device like Fluke 52 II tomorrow.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,374 Views)

Finally, with a standard temperature measured by the Fluke, I found there are some error value caused by each thermocouple and I have to add or reduce the offset to the measured value.

TNK

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,359 Views)