Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB DAQ cards with Windows remote desktop..?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to connect an USB DAC card like USB-6003 to a local PC and then transfer the USB port to a remote computer by using Windows Remote Desktop connection?

Our local PC has Windows 10 and the remote computer runs on Windows Server 2012 R2.

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(6,018 Views)

Yes, it is possible. You have to log data with local PC and you can control operation of local PC with remote PC through remote desktop connection. Then you can move/copy local PC data into remote PC.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(6,005 Views)
Hi Jamal,

That is not exactly what I want.

It would be great if we could use the local DAQ card in the remote computer by using DAQmx. Maybe not possible..?

But there is a possibility to transfer some local resources to the remote computer:

BR,
Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,999 Views)

Yes, You will have all resources of local PC available at remote PC. You just need operating system along with network drivers to be installed on remote PC. Connect both ccomputers through network cable, network switch may be required for large distance.That is the application of remote desktop operation.

Is that what you wanted to ask?

Jamal

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,986 Views)

Hi Jamal,

yes, that is exactly what I want.  🙂

What you mean with "network drivers installed on remote PC"? Do we need to install some special drivers or is the normal DAQmx package enough?

The remote PC is already connected to NI Ethernet based data acquisition system and it is sometimes operated by a tablet PC with the remote desktop connection. Now we would like to plug a small USB DAQ card to the tablet and just use the software running in the remote PC as before.

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,981 Views)

Hello Ilkka,

yes, I mean ethernet drivers that are already installed.

Regards,

Jamal

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,974 Views)

Hi Jamal,

maybe I do not understand something.. But the local DAQ card is not visible in the remote server.

Here is a local PC. This sample uses USB-6218:

local.png

Here I start a remote desktop connection:

rem.png

Here is a remote PC.. NO NI card:

remote.png

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,958 Views)
When you connect from a local pc to a remote one with a DAQ device, it's just like you were sitting in front of the remote pc so you can start LabVIEW or MAX on the remote and do your development from the local pc. The connected devices on the remote do not show up as resources on the local pc.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,948 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
When you connect from a local pc to a remote one with a DAQ device, it's just like you were sitting in front of the remote pc so you can start LabVIEW or MAX on the remote and do your development from the local pc. The connected devices on the remote do not show up as resources on the local pc.

I don't believe that is what he is doing.

The DAQ device is on his local PC. That's what the screen captures are showing.

It appears he wants the remote PC to be able to access the DAQ on the local PC.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,944 Views)
Matter of semantics I think. I call the pc where I'm sitting the local pc. In any case, the devices shown in MAX on computer A will not show up in MAX of computer B. That was a hardly used feature called remote data access in traditional DAQ and is not supported any longer.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(5,939 Views)