From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 9219 strain gauge

I am using the NI-9219 USB to measure very small forces from a strain gauge but I'm having some difficulty in choosing the appropriate strain gauge. I have been suggested two different ones from Vishay. I have attached the spec of the two strain gauges that have been suggested. Would you be able to recommend one or the other for use with the NI-9219 to measure the displaecement of a beam by forces in the range of 10−5 Newtons?

thanks,

Jamie
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,860 Views)
You can use the first strain gauge (Resistance=350Ohm) in quarter bridge configuration as the 9219 has 350Ohm quarter bridge configuration (page 2 of the attached manual). The excitation for the sensor will be 150mV.

More info on how to take straing gauge measurements is at the following tutorial:

KostasB

NIUK Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,829 Views)

Thanks Kostas,

Would that be the best one to use then? I was under the impression that the higher the resistance the better to measure small forces?

thanks,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,821 Views)
Hi,

this is correct but you will then need to use a full- bridge completion, so you will need 4 strain gauges. All of them will be active. This will result in the most accurate measurements. If you would use a high resistance strain gauge in quarter -bridge completion, the system would not be balanced, so for 0 strain you would still get some voltage on the output.

I hope that helps,

KostasB

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,814 Views)

So for a full bridge configuration would each of the 4 strain gauges need to be powered and read seperately, using 4 serperate channels of the module?

Jamie

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,810 Views)

No, you would still use one channel and the strain gauges will be powered from the same internal source. So for 4 strain measurements you need 1x NI-9219 and 16 strain gauges . See the attached connection diagram implementing full bridge completion on the 9219.

KostasB

Message Edited by KostasB on 06-12-2008 09:03 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,806 Views)

brilliant,

thanks very much Kostas

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,801 Views)