cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6501 not seen by MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all!

I have a PC running XP 2002 (SP3) with two USB-6501 DAQs connected to it.  I can see both devices in the DEVICE MANAGER under the heading "Data Acquisition Device" and both appear to have proper drivers installed.  They show their driver file versions as 2.3.1f0.  I also have NI MAX v4.6.2 installed on the computer.  But in MAX, I am unable to view any connected devices.  When I try and expand the "Devices and Interfaces" section, the MAX software goes into a not-responding state and when it finally does respond, I get the following message re-directing me to NI's website:

There was a problem connecting to the database.

Please restart your computer.  Refer to KnowledgeBase article 42HG08DD for more information

and contact National Instruments if the problem persists.  Go to ni.com now?

I was able to see the two DAQs in MAX on another computer with Windows7 installed and MAX version 14.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,980 Views)
NI MAX is just a utility program installed by many different drivers. You have to actually install DAQmx and none of the versions are 2.3. I don't think there is a version 4.6.2 of MAX either. Please install DAQmx on this computer as you apparently did on the working one.
Message 2 of 5
(4,975 Views)

Thanks Dennis.  I have downloaded some newer versions of DAQmx to try and install.  What I don't know about this software, etc. could fill volumes.  The 4.6.2 version of MAX is just what is displayed on the "Welcome" screen as that software is opening and the driver version is what was listed under driver details in the Windows Task Manager.  Thanks for your reply to my post. I hope your suggestion works.  I've been beating my head against the wall for awhile now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,964 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlienTech

Just make sure you install DAQmx full with configuration support for MAX.  It is possible to get into some strange states if you have MAX, and DAQmx Runtime, but not the DAQmx support for MAX.  Also, MAX 4.6.2 is a real version, but very old.

Note the installer below should just work and will include a recent version of MAX.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-14.1/4953/en/

Message 4 of 5
(4,943 Views)

Thank you Joshua.  The installation of DAQmx seems to have been successful from the standpoint that I now see my DAQs listed in the MAX software.  More problems have arose, so I might have to post another thread on a different forum for that.  LOL  But progress is wonderful so again, thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,921 Views)