From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6259 Driver

I have a USB-6259 screw terminal and my computer has Windows XP-x64. I understand that LabVIEW 8.0, 8.2, and 8.5 are suitable for XP-x64. But, what is the compatible driver version for USB 6259 in Windows XP-x64..?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,152 Views)
XP-64 is not a supported OS for either LabVIEW or DAQmx. Where did you get the information that LabVIEW was supported? There is support for XP, Vista x86, Vista x64 with DAQmx 8.6.1. The first version of LabVIEW that is supported under Vista is 8.2.1.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,146 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,142 Views)
Okay, I stand corrected about LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,140 Views)

Hi suresh,

In order to find compatibility versions for DAQ devices, this document is very useful.  Although it says 8.5 for most devices, the newest version of DAQmx is 8.6.1 as Dennis has linked to above and that should be compatible with XP 64. Hopefully this was helpful!

Regards,
Vanessa L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,102 Views)

Hi suresh,

I want to correct myself on something I said in the last post.  I took a look at the knowledgebase that you were referring to about LabVIEW support on Windows XP x64.  This document does say that the 64 bit XP operating system is supported with LabVIEW.  However, looking at the LabVIEW 8.5 readme, it says " LabVIEW supports Windows Vista/XP/2000.  LabVIEW does not support Windows NT/Me/98/95, any of the Windows Server editions, or Windows XP x64.  LabVIEW does support Windows Vista x64."  Once LabVIEW has installed, the readme is located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\readme. 

It seems to me there is a discrepancy in the knowledgebase that you found and the readme that ships with LabVIEW.  When in doubt, you should always refer to the readme for this information.  I will be looking into correcting the knowledgebase that you found.

When talking about the DAQ driver, I navigated to the drivers and updates page on ni.com and searched by operating system.  When I narrowed the search results to Windows XP x64, the only drivers that come up are the NI-VISA and NI-Serial drivers which will not work with your DAQ device.  This again tells me that Windows XP x64 is not supported for M series DAQ devices. 

In order to use your USB 6259 device with a 64 bit operating system with LabVIEW, you will need to upgrade to Windows Visa x64.  Sorry again for the confusion!

Regards,
Vanessa L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,089 Views)

Hi Vanessa, Dennis,

Thank you for the research. When I looked again, the "small print" in the knowledgebase says that these LabVIEW versions do not "officially" support XP-x64. So, I was also coming to the same conclusion that I should upgrade to Vista x64, and a LabVIEW version newer than 8.2.1.

Regards,

Suresh Iyer

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,084 Views)