Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6251 doesn't initialize on computer restart

Hello.  I've had a problem with an external USB DAQ interface module (USB-6251).  This module has it's own power adaptor and, normally, the device works just fine.  However, if the host computer restarts (say, after a security update) the DAQ module doesn't initialize.  This is on a Windows 2000 Server machine with version 4.1 of the Measurement and Automation Explorer.  After a restart, the DAQ module will appear on the system if it is manually restarted.  However, this is a problem as we are trying to use the device with a web-based service that doesn't always have a person next to it to flip a power switch. 

Is this a problem other people have seen?  Does anyone know if this is a result of either my specific setup?  Is this something that I should expect on any USB-based DAQ?

For what it's worth, we are running an identical setup with a PCI-based DAQ of the same model # without problems.  Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,186 Views)
I have researched and found a couple of similar cases as yours, but with different devices. It does seem to be an issue with the USB devices, which would explain why the PCI version of your device works fine.

I would suggest upgrading to the latest version of the DAQmx drivers. A lot of times issues like these are fixed in newer versions of the driver. You can download the latest version from the following link.

NI-DAQmx 8.6.1 - Windows 2000/Vista x64/Vista x86/XP
http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/950/lang/en

What type of processor are you using? I did see a few issues with USB related to AMD processors.

Also, can you try logging in as Administrator on each restart? Does the problem still persist?

Please try these suggestions and update me of the results. In the mean time I will try and replicate the issue on my end.
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,168 Views)
I was able to test your issue with a USB-6215 and was unable to reproduce the results. Were you able to try any of my suggestions? I will try and get my hands on a USB-6251 to see if it a device specific problem.
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,139 Views)
Thanks for your time so far.  I am in the process of working through your suggestions and will have more information later. 

Going through the items I can check off immediately...  The computer it is connected to is an Intel based machine from Dell.  A dual Xeon machine, I believe.  When I login, it is as a member of the Administrator group, but the device drivers and the application that uses the DAQ all launch at boot independent of any user activity.  So, even if I do sit at the machine and log in as soon as possible, these items will have beat me to the punch.

My main concern is whether this is a problem that is endemic to a broad set of USB based DAQ modules.  Particularly, I'm worried about the new ELVIS. 

Anyway, I'll give the new driver a go and get back to you.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,134 Views)
Following up on my last message, I was able to upgrade to NI-DAQmx 8.6.1 and there was no change in behavior.  Further, it doesn't seem to matter whether I log onto the machine immediately after boot or not. 

One thing that occurred to me is that the computer in question is a few years old.  If I recall, the USB ports may only be v. 1.1.  Do you think this would matter?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,120 Views)

The specs for the 6251 do state USB 2.0, you may be onto something.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371291h.pdf

You should be able to verify the USB version of your ports somewhere in Windows control panel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,109 Views)
Oh, it would be something as simple as that.  I'll give that a go.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,107 Views)
I found a USB-6251 and was unable to reproduce the results again. I was, however, running on a Windows XP Machine with USB 2.0 ports. Do you have an Windows XP machine you can test it on? I also found the forum post below that may be useful.

Loading of USB drivers after power on requires administrator rights
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=140&message.id=17800&requireLogin=False
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,099 Views)
Looks like the USB version issue was it.  I just moved the USB DAQ to a different Windows 2000 Server machine that had USB 2.0 support and I didn't see any of the above problems. 

Thanks again for all your help.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,086 Views)