Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6251 Not recognized (detected) in MAX but is detected by Windows 7 Device Manager

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone have a solution for our problem?

USB-6251 is not being recognized (detected) in MAX but is detected by Windows 7 Device Manager.

Our configuration is: Windows 7 (64 BIT), DAXmx 9.3.0f2, MAX 4.8 and USB-6251 (S/N 12B647A. P/N 194929D-04L)

We had a "ready" indication/light on the 6251.

We tried several things...(all did not work)

1.  We installed DAQmx 9.3 (for Windows 7)

2.  Cleaned MAX Database per the following

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/86256F0E001DA9FF86256FFD005B827C?OpenDocument

We were able to detect the USB-6251 on an XP machine w/o needing to do items 1 (install drive) 2 (clean MAX database)

Has anyone experienced this? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,403 Views)

Follow up... we were able to detect the USB-6251 on an XP machine w/o needing to do items 1 (install drive) 2 (clean MAX database)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,401 Views)

Hello!

In Device Manager, does the 6251 show up as a Data Acquisition Device?  Also, I assume you've tried refreshing MAX (View>Refresh or pressing F5)?  Is the NI Device Loader started?  Look at Control Panel»Administrative Tools»Services»NI Device Loader.  

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 6
(4,378 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 6251

Michael B.

Yes the 6251 does show up as a DAQ device.  NI device loader is listed in the services window as auto start.  We have refreshed MAX. 

Success!  I had to manually start Device Loader.  Even though the service was set to autostart, it was not running.  Right click on the service shows that start was selectable.  Clicked start and the service started.  Start MAX and can now see the device.  Opened the front panel.

How does NI Device Monitor running in the tray interface to Device Loader service?

I don't understand why the service was not running.  Is this a security issue?  I am logged in as administrator.  I will try again as a normal user.

Message 4 of 6
(4,375 Views)

The NI Device Monitor is a utility for launching applications when a NI USB device is plugged in.  The Device Loader is the service that loads and initializes device drivers for some types of NI hardware.

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,350 Views)

Restarting the NI Device Loader service did it for me. I think Windows 7 will not auto-restart a service that previously failed. Given what I went through today, God only knows what really happened.

FYI: THEY ARE NOT KIDDING ABOUT NOT INSTALLING CARDS BEFORE YOU INSTALL DAQMX. I had this computer assembled by someone else and finally I just uninstalled everything, pulled the card out, reinstalled, and installed the card. Not before I ripped apart another computer to make sure this card was OK, of course....

In case anyone's wondering, putting the card in before installing the software (in my case) made it appear in MAX only after a looong delay "searching..." for devices. Then MAX would tell me the device failed the self test because "it may no longer be present".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,278 Views)