Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6210 reading impossible values or flatlining at -10V with RSE

I am using an NI USB-6210 with Matlab.  I have configured the analog inputs to be RSE and I have two inputs on ai0 and ai15. Ai15 is plugged directly into the board ground and I am touching the + terminal of an AA battery to ai0, briefely. When I look at my data, ai15 follows ai0 almost exactly, even though it is plugged directly into the board ground. Both inputs read all over  the place, from -10 to +10V.  I have the same results using the Measurement and automation explorer Test Panels. Furthermore, when it is not giving me outlandish results, +/- 8 volts from the AA or the board's +5V out pin, the analog ins flatline at -10.6V seemingly at random. Sometimes the values will drop slowly from some random value above -10V until they reach -10.6V and flatline.

I have reset, calibrated, and run self tests all after an ample warm up period.

Is my board dead or am I missing something huge?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,880 Views)
For rse, you would connect ai0 to the + input and the board ground to the signal ground. I don't understand the point of connecting ai15. For a differential measurement, you would connect ai0 and ai8. Please look at the manual for connection information.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,875 Views)

The idea with having ai15 connected to ground is that it should just read zero in RSE mode, but it reads the same as ai0 wich is touching the battery.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,871 Views)
It seems you are taking a referenced measurement without a referenced and the input is floating. With the battery, you should be taking a differential measurement since you do not have it grounded.
Message 4 of 4
(3,868 Views)