Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6003 triggered AO using PFI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a USB 6003 card and want to set up a triggered AO. I know you can start a pre-defined AO waveform using the PFI lines (in my case 100 step sawtooth from 0-2V) and I can get this to work. However, I cannot get it to step through the AO levels where each sequential trigger to the PFI line increments the voltage by 1 step, it seems to always step through the voltages at a fixed sample rate. I have successfully achieved this triggered stepping on another USB DAQ card so is this a limitation of the USB 6003? The documentation for the 6003 is quite unclear about what you can actually do with the PFI lines.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,083 Views)

To do what you want, you should configure the task to use the PFI signal as a *sample clock* rather than as a trigger.  You can do this with your call to DAQmx Timing.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,068 Views)

Thanks for replying. I have attempted this already but it still just scans through the voltages at the rate set by the rate in the diagram below. Here the array is just a 1D array of voltage values to scan through

ew535_0-1641823423980.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,059 Views)

I'm dubious.  Check again.

If your 'Clock line' is a PFI terminal fed by some external clock source, your *actual* AO update rate will follow that clock rate *regardless* of the value you happen to wire to the 'rate' input of DAQmx Timing.

Try it.  For the same frequency external clock signal, try wiring in a value like 20000 as the rate, then try wiring in a 2.  It won't have any effect on the actual AO sample rate.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,047 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ew535

For anyone who searches for this looking for an answer, the USB 6003 doesn't allow external sample clocking only triggering the start of the AO function. It will default to the rate set in the sample clock 

Message 5 of 6
(997 Views)

Thanks for the followup and sorry for steering you wrong -- I didn't know the USB-6003 had that limitation.

-Kevin P

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(989 Views)