From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6000 series Digital I/O switching

Regarding the USB-6000 series of DAQ modules, I need both 10 Digital Inputs and 10 digital outputs.  Since the I/O is switchable, can I switch the function of the I/O in the VI, or does it need configured in the VI and left that way?

Thanks.

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(988 Views)

I would say both yes and no.

The "yes" part: most digital IO devices allow you to switch between read and write behavior by stopping one type of task and then starting the other type.  

The "no" part: in a given wiring setup, it matters what's on the other end of that digital input or output.  It's unlikely to make sense to toggle between input and output mode for a particular digital line, because that won't make sense for the equipment that line is wired to.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(952 Views)

Hello,

Yes, you can switch them in the VI. For 10 Bidirectional digital channels requirements you would be looking at some models like USB-6001 that includes 13 channels.

The NI USB-6001/6002/6003 has 13 digital lines: P0.<0..7>, P1. <0..3>, and P2.0. D GND is
the ground-reference signal for digital I/O. You can individually program each line as input or
output.
All digital input and digital output updates and samples are software-timed. 

You can also review User Manua: https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374259a.pdf  page 21 for furthersafety recommendations to avoid damaging devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(923 Views)