Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6000 series Digital I/O switching

Regarding the USB-6000 series of DAQ modules, I need both 10 Digital Inputs and 10 digital outputs.  Since the I/O is switchable, can I switch the function of the I/O in the VI, or does it need configured in the VI and left that way?

Thanks.

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(987 Views)

I would say both yes and no.

The "yes" part: most digital IO devices allow you to switch between read and write behavior by stopping one type of task and then starting the other type.  

The "no" part: in a given wiring setup, it matters what's on the other end of that digital input or output.  It's unlikely to make sense to toggle between input and output mode for a particular digital line, because that won't make sense for the equipment that line is wired to.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(951 Views)

Hello,

Yes, you can switch them in the VI. For 10 Bidirectional digital channels requirements you would be looking at some models like USB-6001 that includes 13 channels.

The NI USB-6001/6002/6003 has 13 digital lines: P0.<0..7>, P1. <0..3>, and P2.0. D GND is
the ground-reference signal for digital I/O. You can individually program each line as input or
output.
All digital input and digital output updates and samples are software-timed. 

You can also review User Manua: https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374259a.pdf  page 21 for furthersafety recommendations to avoid damaging devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(922 Views)