Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-4065 Getting Renamed After Windows Update

I have several machines running USB-4065 DMMs. Quite frequently they get rediscovered and renamed from Dev1 to Dev2, Dev3 etc. after a Windows update thus breaking the test programs. The old device name (Dev1) remains and shows disconnected while the new device name (Dev2) shows connected. I can delete the Dev1 and rename Dev2 to Dev1 and the test program works as expected. This has happened several times on at least four different computers. This seems to happen only with the USB-4065 devices, I have other USB DAQs on other machines that never exhibit this behavior. Can anyone shed some light as to what's happening and how I can prevent this. Seems to always happen when I'm not on site, so hours of down time until I arrive. TIA

LabVIEW 2015 Built Application

NI-MAX 5.4

Windows 10

Kevin Terry
Test Development Engineer @ McGregor and Associates
http://www.mcgregor-surmount.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,320 Views)

Hi Kevin,

As the devices are discovered the naming convention is assigned in NI MAX so it is based on order of recognition.

If this is a constant problem, as a workaround, I would suggest disabling Windows updates to keep your programs from breaking. 

Best,

Megan T. 

Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,260 Views)

NI-MAX 5.4

Windows 10

NI-MAX 5.4, if I remember correctly, dates from about 2013, at least two years before the introduction of Windows 10. What version of the NI-DMM driver are you using? The earliest version that claimed support for Windows 10 is NI-DMM 15.2. (The current latest version is 19.0.)

I was able to find a similar issue noted internally that was corrected in mid-2014 which would occur on a Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade; the Windows 10 six-month updates (Anniversary Update, Creators Update, etc) have a similar sort of service-pack-like upgrade experience, so based on the description it sounds like it might be related.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,243 Views)

Another workaround would be to, at the start of your test sequence, use NI System Configuration to find all of your USB-4065 devices and name them to fixed values based on their serial numbers or USB Interface.

Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,235 Views)