I kept the connection via USB the whole time, I did not follow the parts where you make the connection to the host machine via Ethernet.
I'm not literate enough with these systems to identify what actually cured it i'm afraid, but I followed the sequence of reset button pushes as detailed in that document, and then the device appeared straight away in MAX much to my surprise.
I've got one more issue now, which I need to look into, perhaps start a new thread, whereby I can operate test panels in MAX and take a temperature measurement, but in Labview when I use DAQ assistant, it says I have no devices.
Amazing, the answers I need are in that document. As you will have been able to tell, I am completely new to this hardware, and this area of engineering in general. So thank you very very much for all of your help. I've got where I need to be now!