From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Installing NI 9171 Single Module USB cDAQ Chassis

Hi All,

I'm attempting to install a single module cDAQ chassis (NI 9171) for use with a NI 9477 DO module. As I understand it, the install should be as simple as pulling in the USB once I have the latest DAQmx drivers loaded. I confirmed I have the latest DAQmx (15.0.1f3). When I plug the USB in, Windows reports that the driver did not install correctly. What approach should I take to fix this issue? I've attempted to install this on two different computers with the same result.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,795 Views)

Hi Tim,

There have been a couple of updates to the DAQmx drivers since 15.0.1, so my first suggestion would be to download the latest version, 15.5.1, found here. Download and install the later version and let me know if that doesn't fix the issue. If you're still having trouble with Windows recognizing the driver installation, we can keep troubleshooting from there.

Kathryn K.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
http://ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,766 Views)

Thanks! I tried 15.5.1, but no luck. It still fails to install the drivers correctly. 

On a side note, I do have a 9181. That works just fine. Obviously that is completely different (ethernet vs. usb), but my point is DAQmx works just fine with that version. I'd still like to get the 9171 working though.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,761 Views)

Hmm.. that is odd. It's good to hear that you have a working chassis, but I'd really like to find out why the 9171 isn't working for you.

What version of LabVIEW are you using? Also, what operating system? This may help us narrow down the cause of the issue, especially if it ends up being a behavior specific to one particular version of software.

Kathryn K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(4,757 Views)

Both computers I tried are LV 2015sp1 on Windows 7 (64bit).

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,753 Views)

I'm not seeing documentation on a specific problem with that combination of software, so I think our next step should be to force reinstall the 15.5.1 DAQmx drivers, as described in this article.  The regular installer won't overwrite files that it detects already exist on your system, so if you happened to get a bad version of one of the DAQmx files at some point in the past, you'll need to force reinstall the clean version to correct the issue.

Give that a try and let me know if you're still seeing problems afterward.

Kathryn K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,750 Views)

Did you try using different USB ports?

And check please if power saving features are disabled for the ports you are using.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,735 Views)

I tried the "reinstall" option on DAQmx installation. No luck. The driver install still fails.

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(4,729 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried other USB ports. I double checked all the power management settings. They are all disabled. No luck.

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(4,728 Views)

Interesting.

I have a few other suggestions:

- Do you have a firewall or antivirus running? They might partially block driver installation, which could cause this issue. You can try to go through the antivirus log and check if there is anything suspicious (although I do remember one situation when only uninstalling the firewall actually helped - even disable it was still causing issues:) ).

- You can also have a look into the Windows Event Viewer. Any kind of description, error code etc. would be helpful for us.

- Can you check the device on a different computer? There is the possibility, that it is just broken.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(4,724 Views)