Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger works on AI0 only...Why?

When attemting to trigger on any channel other than ai0 I find nothing triggers.  I have a good Triggering VI and have selected the channel I want in "properties".  The workaround has always been to rewire my triggering input to channel ai0.  This happens on my NI USB-6008 and on a BNC-2110 into a 6036 card.  So...if things will only trigger on channel ai0, why give users a choice of other channels?  Keep in mind that I am triggering with proper rise, fall, level, etc.  This becomes problematic when we are in testing and say "Oh, let's trigger off this [other device] to see what we get there."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,530 Views)

Hello fjedgar,

From my understanding, You are using LabVIEW and both a 6036E and USB-6008.  You mention that you are only able to use your
digital trigger to control ai0 on both devices.

The USB-6008 has 8 analog inputs, 2 analog outputs, 12 DIO channels and 1 counter.  The USB-6008 supports digital triggering on the analog inputs.  The digital trigger must be on PFI0 and can be used on all ai lines as a start trigger.

According to the User guide and specifications the 6036E family of devices does support digital triggering for analog inputs.  The 6036E has a digital trigger that can be used as a start, reference and pause trigger.  If you are using the DAQcard 6036E then the trigger you cannot have external sources as your trigger.  Depending on whether you are using the PCI or DAQcard version of this card, the triggering options will be different.  Which 6036E are you using?

You should be able to trigger more than just one of your analog inputs on both cards.  I would like you to test this out with a program from the  LabVIEW example finder.  Open LabVIEW and go to Help>>Find Examples.  In the Example finder, go to the "search" tab and search for "trigger".  Next open the example called Cont Acq&Graph Voltage-Analog SW Trigger.vi.  Please test is out on your other analog input lines and let me know if you still experience the same problem with triggering.  Make sure to select the correct device and trigger line according to what device you have selected.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Ima
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,505 Views)