Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional NI-DAQ virtual channels not retained when MAX exits

I have a PCI-6036E installed in a Windows 7 (32bit) PC and I am trying to run some old software using Traditional NI-DAQ.  I have downloaded and sucessfully installed the latest Legacy Driver (Ver 7.5).  The device shows up in MAX (ver 4.6.2) under Device and Interfaces and also under Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) Devices

MAX Config.PNG

So far so good.

I the tried to load a .daq configuration file I had from the old software but nothing happend and Data Neighborhood remained empty.

I then decided to recreate the channels from scratch and could do this - All channels appeared in Data Neighborhood.  I saved the configuration using the Save Configuration As in Tools, Traditional NI-DAQ Configuration with no error messages and the .daq file appeared on my Hard Drive.

I closed MAX and contiued with my LabVIEW program but it could not find my named channels.  I reopened MAX to check the spelling etc and found the Data Neighborhood was empty.  Tried loading the previously Saved Configuration and Data Neighborhood remaind empty.

Can anybody help as I dont want to have to a) leave MAX open continuously or b) reneter all my channels everytime I open MAX

The old program was LabVIEW 7.1 and I am converting it to LabVIEW 2009

Thanks

Ken  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,409 Views)

You do realize that Traditional DAQ is not supported in Windows 7.  Sounds like you are running into an issue due to that limitation.  I highly recommend rewriting your project using DAQmx since that will continue to see support for a very long time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,402 Views)

Not according to where I downloaded the Legacy driver from!

NI-DAQ.PNG

Considered rewriting for DAQmx but only need to use the application 1 more time then I can retire it

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,399 Views)

Well that's news to me.  I did manage to find that download as well as this quick KB: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8EC9E81C3DE4E619862573930083BD7A

Ok, I'm stumped as far as your problem then.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,396 Views)

Thanks for your response anyway.  i have fired off a Service Request to NI to see if they have any ideas.

If they come up with anything I will post it.

Tempted to find an XP machine, Fit the DAQ Card, Load LabVIEW 7.1 and run it from there

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,394 Views)

Hi Ken,

My name's Max and I'm an application engineer here at NI- thank you for contacting us. I think I may have found a link that can help with your problem, please take a look at this and let me know if you think it will be useful.

http://www.ni.com/download/traditional-ni-daq-compatibility-vis-1.3/822/en/

Best of luck!

Max

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,369 Views)

That is for Windows 2000/XP/NT with LabVIEW 7.x.

I am using LabVIEW 2009 in Windows 7 trying to use Traditional NI-DAQ whilst converting an application originally written in LabVEIW 7.1

Thanks anyway

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,365 Views)

To solve this, do the following:

In MAX, load .DAQ file.
Click Save all.
Close Max.
Reopen Max.
No channels appear at this point.
Create new traditional DAQ channel.
Right click the new created channel and click properties.
In the drop down box to select channel, you should now see all your channels.
Select one of those channels and press okay.
All the channels should now appear in MAX and you should be able to close MAX and reopen it and all the channels will still be there.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,238 Views)