Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TROUBLE measure 4-20 ma tbx and SCB-68A

Hello,

i'm begginer in NI and labsview. I try to read 4 20 ma on SCB-68a and TBX but i have some trouble. I

can measure the 4-20 ma in my Data logger and it's works very well. But when i want use NI object i can't have a good measure with same cable and resistor shunt.

I have a detector of hydrogene with 4-20 ma output to measure 0 to 5000 ppm .  I use different resistor shunt 50 ohm to 200 ohm. 

But when i go in NI with labsview this doesn't works properly. I'm in mode DIFF on AI/0 the 4 - 20 ma. The measure isn't stable and i have the same trouble when i use TBX or SCB with 2 different pc (6353).  When i have 8 ppm in my detector i measure 3,75 ma to 4,3 ma or in my data logger i have 8 ppm after scale the data. So in NIMAX  when i scale is 0 to 200 ppm.

i link Ai - to AI GND and the shunt resistor is beetwen AI + and AI -.

What i make wrong to have a good signal ?  the pcie is 6353

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,204 Views)

To read a 4-20mA signal you need,

1. A power source in the 4-20mA loop or separate power supply for the sensor
  2. A load resistance to convert the current signal into voltage
  3. A DAQ to measure the voltage signal

In the case of 6353, you're missing #2 and depending on your sensor you're missing #1 too.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,172 Views)

I dont need #1  and i use already a load résistance of 50ohm +/- 0.1 ohms or 4 of this résistance.

I Have put this output in à data logger aoip and i read correcly this 4-20 ma with the résistance load beetween + and -

So i dont know what i miss you think to ohter think ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,164 Views)

I have already a source in my detector for the #1.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,136 Views)

I overlooked that you already had a shunt resistor.

Please confirm if you're connecting as per the below diagram,

santo_13_0-1668539202276.png

Please share the configuration you used in DAQmx to check the functionality.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,119 Views)

spouk_0-1668584104639.jpeg

spouk_1-1668584126486.jpeg

spouk_3-1668584806874.jpeg

I have try different too a cable beetwen 64 (AI gnd) and 37 (AI -), without.  

You can see in my last photo the signal is noise, 5 mA is good because i have 200 ppm.When i have 0 ppm i'm at 4 mA with noise too.

My sensor works good because when i put this  in a data logger calibrate, i have a good signal with the same resistor load and instrument cable.

I don't know what i miss because i have try all configuration in other AI and other card (TBX) it's the same.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,102 Views)