Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize Clock Between USB 6003 and USB 6008

Hi,

I am using both a USB 6003 and USB 6008 device for data collection/motor control in my lab. I am using DAQmx.

The USB 6003 reads analog data from the motor drives along with some other analog inputs. The 6008 reads other analog input signals from the setup.

I am wondering if it is possible to wire the clock from the 6003 to the 6008 to synchronize them? I would like to potentially use input signals from either of these DAQs to inform some analog output to the motors. This would be ideal if I knew they were synced. I've found videos and posts about using the PFI0 and PFI1 ports, but not sure if the same principles apply to my hardware since the video below used DAQ chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8jiKuKeDI

From what I'm reading, it seems like it may not be supported. But figured I would ask before giving up and using post-processing and timestamps to try to line them up. Alternatively, if they cannot be physically synced, is there any clever way, perhaps using queues or something, that I can make sure they collect at the same rate?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,822 Views)

I'm not really familiar with those particular devices, but since both have multifunction capability, they'll almost certainly support clock sharing.

I answered a pretty similar question recently for a different pair of USB MIO devices.  I'd be inclined to give you the same advice.  Here's the thread. 

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(1,781 Views)

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't yet had a chance to implement the synchronization and now we are all working from home...

The advice you gave is consistent with other sources. I do not see a reason why it wouldn't work. I'm only concerned that both devices don't have PF ports for both counter (clock) and trigger. 

I will be sure to mark your answer as the solution when I am able to test it.

Best,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,729 Views)