cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync two E series card using traditional DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a PCI-6052E and a PCI-6071E and I have a program in Matlab which interacts the cards with traditional DAQ driver.

Is it possible to synchronize the two cards using RTSI or something? If so, what should I do in matlab to achieve this?

I'm a little confused because I'm not sure if this can only be done using DAQmx.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,938 Views)

Hi zlyhere,

Your best bet is to use DAQmx since it has a simpler API, supported, and is much more stable.  However, if you'd really like to use TDAQ to accomplish this, you can follow this example (written in LabVIEW)

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6643

The key point is that there are functiosn that allow you to route a start trigger and route signals between the devices.  The difference between TDAQ and NI-DAQmx is that NI-DAQmx is much easier to configure.  If you need a reference for the functions, please browse to Start menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-DAQ » Traditional NI-DAQ {Function Reference Help, User Manual}

Lastly, does your m file use C calls?  Or is it using a toolbox?

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,918 Views)

Hi Che,

I see. I asked about traditional DAQ only because I inherited the cards and some old programs from other people. But I think your suggestion is right. I'd better use DAQmx.

The old program I had is using Matlab's data acquisition toolbox, not C calls. Do you think C calls will be easier and more efficient?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,903 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zlyhere

Hi zlyhere,

Using DAQmx would definitely be the best choice.

In terms of using C vs the Data Acquisition Toolbox for The MathWorks Inc, Matlab® Software, I'd recommend the toolbox for ease of use.  MathWorks develops the toolbox, so they should have documentation regarding how to synchronize the cards.  

If you find that you need more functionality, you can fall back to C.  The documentation is available at

Start menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-DAQ » Text-Based Code Support » NI-DAQmx C Reference Help

Matlab® is a registered trademark of The MathWorks, Inc.

Cheers!

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,889 Views)

Sounds great! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,885 Views)