From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strain Gauge Calibration in DAQmx ERR%

Hello,

I have a question regarding the calibration of strain gauges when using a DAQmx.

I am currently setting up my strain gauges using the tutorial found at  http://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/data-acquisition/strain-gages.

When I first plug all of strain gauges in and calibrate them, I get a pop up saying that calibration was successful and the Err% shown for each chaneel is 0.00. When I come back after an hour or two to recalibrate my strain gauges using the same method as before, I get the same message saying calibration was successful, but the Err% has drifted, and they all hover around 8.00-15.00. 

From the tutorial I have been using, it states that Err% is:

Err (%)—Percentage offset error, determined by the equation: Err (%) = [(offset value * 100) / (Max Range LimitMin Range Limit)] where Max Range Limit and Min Range Limit are the maximum and minimum strain range values specified for the given virtual channel.

I am not changing any of the variables such as range when doing the second calibration, yet the Err% changes. Would this drift in Err% be due to external factors such as temperature? When I calibrated for a second time, the calibration still says it is successful. Should I assume that the DAQmx did proper calbiration and not worry about the Err%?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,694 Views)

Hi cjwarren,

The error percentage of 0.0% is unrealistic (I would expect it up around 0.05% or so) so I'm questioning whether it is doing  a proper calibration to begin with.  Do you have any way to test it with a known value to see if it is actually off?  Also, what hardware are you using?

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,665 Views)