Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting from scratch, help me spec out my future test suite

Hello,

You'll need to bear with me here, I think this might end up being a long discussion thread.  I've got a lot of questions and very little knowledge.

I'm looking to move away from my existing proprietary vehicle testing suite (Racelogic VBox hardware and software) to a more flexible environment. Whilst I've re-purposed the VBox for a number of testing applications which are a long way from its intended use, the work-arounds to get whatever data you want take time and money to get work and it ends up being pretty slow from a workflow point of view.

So I'm looking at moving to the NI environment and I've come to this wonderful forum to get some advice. I apologise in advance as whilst the core of my question is about the DAQ hardware, I'm pretty certain I'm going to cross into talking about the software side too. 

The testing varies quite a bit, it's almost exclusively vehicle testing but my work is quite varied, often it will be a one off to gather data on a specific issue. The majority of my work it is in-motion testing, often in remote and harsh sites. So a balance of portability and flexibility needs to be struck.  My current V-box setup travels in one 30 litre pelican case, with the various other modules and accessories in two more 30 litre pelican cases and then a toolbag full of cables and adaptors.

One thing I'm interested in from a practical side is users' experiences with setting up their DAQ to be portable and any issues around heat, power etc.

Starting with the inputs, I know that I'm going to want:
reasonably accuracy and update rate GPS (so, call it 5hz minimum, preferably 10hz+ and ideally DGPS),  the VBox provides this currently so I'm going to need to come up with a new solution.
six to twelve pressure transducers (existing Omega units, 0-5v outputs),
a load cell, which is used for pedal force measurement so a range of 0-1000N (looking to replace my current unit as it is very much made for the VBox system so I'm better off keeping it with the VBox and getting something new for whatever future NI system) 

six to twelve K-type thermocouple inputs

some accelerometer inputs, main focus is in the 1hz-100hz +/- 5g range, not real happy with my current sensor setup so open to ideas for starting from scratch here.

Now from the software/operations side:

I'd prefer to be able to leave this logging without a PC attached, which I think from my initial research pushes me towards a 'CompactDAQ controller' but I'm open to experience from people of the merits of that route vs. buying a simpler DAQ and having a dedicated laptop or small form factor PC setup to live with the DAQ.

I'd like the system to be able to do some basic real time analysis, mostly from the brake testing side, it would be nice if upon a particular set of conditions being met, that it could at least offer me a counter of distance travelled after the brake is applied, ideally that it would hold and display a distance from brake application as a start trigger to vehicle speed reaching zero as a stop trigger.  I suspect that this should be easy within labview but it's been about 15 years since I have last seen Labview and a lot of my neurons have died since then, so if someone could confirm this that woudl be great.
I have some tests that I do on a regular basis, so it would be nice to have some good post-analysis to take data from testing, run it against a bunch of pass:fail criteria, extract the key numbers and export it out into a pro-forma report.  From my early research it looks like DIAdem is the package for that in the NI environment, is that right?

From my reading, it looks like if I want to log GPS data, that I'm best doing that straight to the PC and combine it with the data from the CompactDAQ inside of labview.   If I go a CompactDAQ controller, what do I do about that?

I think that's enough questions to get me started. 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance/insight.

Regards,
VehicleEngineer.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,810 Views)

Oh, and I need to log from the vehicle's canbus. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,804 Views)

It definitely sounds like you should be using a cDAQ setup.  There are some that have embedded controllers in them.  But there are C-series modules that are specific for measuring voltage, load cells, vibration, current, CAN commuications, RS-232, etc.

Any acquisition and real time analysis can easily be done in LabVIEW.

If you are processing a lot of data, DIAdem is quite helpful.

For your GPS, I would recommend using a time server like a TM1000A.  This model even has a serial output so you can see all of the GPS data.

Find your local NI sales rep and have a nice long meeting to go through all of your requirements and I am sure they will be able to help you out.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 5
(2,774 Views)

I'm in a bit of a third world backwater, so for a couple of reasons that makes it desirable for me to understand what products I actually need and what fair pricing represents before I start talking with sales people.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,745 Views)

Hi vehicleengineer,

National Instruments actually has teams of engineers working in the sales department whose job is to help customers determine what products are best suited to their application. If you're worried about now knowing what a fair price for your system would be, you could have this conversation and ask for a quote, then compare the quote to similar systems from other companies. Alternatively, if you have specific technical questions, the Applications Engineering department can help you determine if specific parts are well-suited to your project.

NickelsAndDimes
Product Support Engineer - sbRIO
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,727 Views)