Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StandAlone cDAQ-9139 won't show up in MAX Host computer using hardwired Ethernet

Solved!
Go to solution

cDAQ-9139 won't show up in Max Host computer. Both controller and host laptop running NI-DAQmx ver 9.6. Can ping both ways and cDAQ-9139 shows up in NI Network Browser on Host laptop which is connected to cDAQ-9139 via hardwired straight thru Ethernet cable. Host has no Anti-virus and Firewall is set to off. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,653 Views)

-          Did you try to right click on Network Devices>>Find Network NI-DAQmx Devices using the IP address?

-          If not, did you try to reset your device (Press and hold the reset button)

-          Were you able to recognize this device before?

Message 2 of 11
(5,636 Views)
Yep! Thanks! Did that several times over pressing reset more thn 5 seconds, and entering IP and Host Name many times over. I'm coming to the conclusion that this is not a designed function. And no, I could never get it to work. However, I can view all folders on the cDAQ-9139 controller from the host Laptop connected via hardwired Ethernet. Is there anyone out there that has been able to view the controller and modules in MAX on a hard wired Ethernet laptop? Thanks! 😎
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,629 Views)

Can you see your device on the device manager?

not listed in MAX but they show up in windows device manager

Is the NI device loader started?

NI device loader

Did you try using an static IP adress?

Or you can check the general steps for network cDAQ troubleshooting.

Network cDAQ

Message 4 of 11
(5,610 Views)

Hello sfrosty-

I assume you are using a cDAQ-9139 for LabVIEW Real-Time.  You mentioned that you are using NI-DAQmx 9.6 on both systems, but can you confirm whether you have (at least) LabVIEW 2012 and the LabVIEW 2012 Real-Time module installed on your host system?  This is a requirement in order to discover and target applications to a cDAQ-913x that is running LabVIEW Real-Time.

Have you used a LabVIEW Real-Time target before?  The systems should appear under Remote Systems in MAX rather than under My System>>Devices and Interfaces like you may have seen with other DAQmx devices.  This document may be able to provide some helpful getting started tips.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
Message 5 of 11
(5,578 Views)

Hello Tom,

Actually I'm using Windows 7. Currently updating from DAQmx 9.6 to 9.6.1 as suggested by a recent email from NI. Waiting for install to check results.

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,576 Views)

Hi sfrosty-

Just to clarify, do you mean that you are using WES7 on the chassis or Windows 7 on your host PC?  If the cDAQ system is configured for LabVIEW RT operation (and not running WES7 directly on the cDAQ system), you will still need to have the software packages installed on the host PC that I mentioned in my previous post.  I would be surprised if the DAQmx 9.6.1 upgrade makes any difference for you, but upgrading is never a bad idea. 🙂

Edited for clarify on 'where' the software packages should be installed.

Tom W
National Instruments
Message 7 of 11
(5,574 Views)

The 9139 and modules show up in MAX and in the device manager on the 9139 controller running Windows 7. I updated to DAQmx 9.6.1.1  on both the 9139 and the Laptop connected to the 9139 via Ethernet cable; still doesn't find the 9139 in MAX on the laptop. It does still list the 9139 in the NI browser with both name and IP. The IP of the 9139 controller is 169.254.41.85. The IP of the laptop connected via hardwired Ethernet cable is 169.254.59.208. Both addresses set to be obtained automatically.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,570 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sfrosty

Ah, thanks, sfrosty.  I think I understand your configuration now.  You are running Windows 7 on the laptop and WES7 on the cDAQ-9139.

In this case, you should program your application on or deploy a compiled executable directly to the cDAQ-9139.  There is no way to use the laptop to program for and deploy a LabVIEW application to the cDAQ-9139 system.  Instead, you could consider using Remote Desktop to access the cDAQ-9139 system directly or you could attach a computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the cDAQ-9139 and use it as an embedded computer.

Tom W
National Instruments
Message 9 of 11
(5,568 Views)

Thanks! I had a SR in which resulted in the same conclusion!

Sounds very reasonable; which was the conclusion I was moving toward.

Thanks so much for your help in investigating!

In that this is a new product, I am merely evaluating features at this time before deciding on a final configuration.

Thanks again for investigating/confirming!

~ Skip Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,538 Views)