From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Licencing using NI-DAQ Serial Number

I would like to licence an application based on licencing the software to work with specific pieces of NI hardware.  I.e. I want my customers to be able to install the software on as many PC's as the like, but it will only work with as many NI DAQ cards as they purchase licences for.  For each NI-DAQ card they purchase and licence with my software I will provide a licence file with the serial numbers embedded, so any copy of the software will work with any of the licenced hardware devices.

Is this a good idea or is there any easy way to change the serial numbers of DAQ hardware?  Target hardware are E and M series DAQ cards, both PCI and USB.

Thanks, Ben.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,403 Views)

Hi Ben,

No its incredibly difficult to change the serial numbers of cards (I have never actually heard of this bei ng done outside of NI) so I would say that this is a good method to take with regards to your software licensing.

You just need a DAQmx Device Property Node to extract the Serial Number.

Thanks

AdamB

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,364 Views)