cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous read and write with different sample rate on NI USB-6356

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

Apologize in advance if what I'm asking is too silly. I have very limited experience with NI DAQ.

I have a NI USB-6356 and I want to use its analog output channel to control one component of my experimental setup while using its analog input channels to acquire some voltage signals. I'm using NI-DAQmx Python API for the programming.

After reading a few articles here, so far I'm able to sync the analog output channel write task and the analog input channel read task using the following approach: 

import nidaqmx
import nidaqmx.constants as niconst
import numpy as np

system = nidaqmx.system.System.local()
devicename =system.devices[0].name

intask = nidaqmx.Task(new_task_name="in") # read task
outtask = nidaqmx.Task(new_task_name="out") # write task

InputSampleRate = 10
OutputSampleRate = 10

# Set up the read task
intask.ai_channels.add_ai_voltage_chan(
    physical_channel=devicename + "/" + 'ai0',
    terminal_config=niconst.TerminalConfiguration.DEFAULT,
    min_val=-10, max_val=10,
    units=niconst.VoltageUnits.VOLTS)

intask.timing.cfg_samp_clk_timing(
    rate=InputSampleRate, 
    active_edge=niconst.Edge.FALLING,
    sample_mode=niconst.AcquisitionType.FINITE, samps_per_chan=10)

# Set up the write task, use the sample clock of the Analog input
outtask.ao_channels.add_ao_voltage_chan(
    physical_channel=devicename + "/" + 'ao1', 
    min_val=-10, max_val=10,
    units=niconst.VoltageUnits.VOLTS)

outtask.timing.cfg_samp_clk_timing(
    rate=OutputSampleRate,
    source="/" + devicename + "/ai/SampleClock",
    active_edge=niconst.Edge.FALLING,
    sample_mode=niconst.AcquisitionType.FINITE, samps_per_chan=10)

writedata = np.linspace(0, 5, 10)
outtask.write(writedata, auto_start=False)

outtask.start() # Start the write task first, waiting for the analog input sample clock
data = intask.read(10) # Start the read task

intask.close()
outtask.close()

However, in the above code, it seems that changing the sample rate of the cfg_samp_clk_timing function for the outtask does not do anything. My understanding is that as I set the source of sample clock of the outtask to be the sample clock of the analog input channels, the sample rate of the outtask is also fixed to be the sample as the analog input channels. Therefore I'm not able to have different sample rate for the outtask and intask. Is this correct?

For my measurement purpose, I do need to have different sample rate for the analog input channel and analog output channel. However I also want to sync the read and write. Is there a way to accomplish that? I'm thinking of using a 10 MHz Reference Clock for both the intask and outtask. Is this a viable approach or is there a better approach?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,731 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CoucheLimite

I'm generally a big advocate of syncing tasks by sharing sample clocks *instead* of using triggers.  But for your situation where both tasks are on the same device, the simplest thing for you to do is sync via trigger.

Let both derive their own sample clock from the internal timebase (this is the default if you don't go out of your way to specify otherwise).  Then you could configure AO to be triggered by "/Dev1/ai/StartTrigger".   This is an internal signal that gets asserted when the AI task starts.   (And continue to make the API call to start the AO task before starting AI.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,689 Views)

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks a lot for your help!

I tried it out today and it works perfect well.

Regards,

Yan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,644 Views)

Hi Yan,

Can you please show me the code that how you link the start trigger of AO to the Ai?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,258 Views)