Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup runtime only PC

I am writing a LabVIEW.exe for a PC it is not going to have the full deveolpment LabVIEW on it. The problem I am exeriencing is that it is not recognising he NI DAQ card (PCI-6220). The machine is newley built and I installed on it first 'LabVIEW_8.0.1_Runtime_Engine.exe' then 'NIDAQ810.zip' thinking that was all I needed. I then installed the card it sadi it was a NI PCI-6220 and that it was searching for software and didn't move from there. What other software do I need?? NI, do you think it would be a clever idea just to have one bit of software for PC's without labview application software which would have the DAQmx drivers and the runtime environment.

ANyone got any ideas???

cheers
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,016 Views)
If you want to run a LabVIEW DAQ application on a target than doesn't have LabVIEW installed, you only need two pieces of software in order to run the Exe. The Runtime engine and the driver software, which in your case is NI-DAQmx.

You mention that it doesn't get passed the stage of searching for software, I wonder if this points towards a bad install of NI-DAQmx. Did the install seem to go OK and what settings did you make during the install (install path, various components etc)? It may be worth removing the hardware and reinstalling NI-DAQmx and trying again.

I understand your point about having one piece of software, but there are lots of reasons why NI doesn't bundle the runtime engine into the drivers. One reason is that you would have to bundle a runtime version of LabVIEW and CVI for every version supported by the driver. This would cause the 'unified' piece of software to get larger and larger, something the community wouldn't be keen on. Also remember that people use the NI-DAQmx driver who don't use an NI programming environment such as VB etc. These users certainly wouldn't want to install runtime engines which are of no use to them.

The fact that inside LabVIEW we can now create an installer that also runs any selected driver installs is good enough for me.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,006 Views)
Cheers SR for the post, I have finally found out what the problem was (which involved me stripping another PC!!!). The runtime engine and the dirvers is all I require. What happened was the PC support that build our computers have set the PC to check for drivers in some obscure network drive and if it doesn't find it there it then checks the other netwrok drives before looking at  the local disk. When I left the card searching after 4 hours it finally found the drivers and installed the PC properly

thaks for all your help
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,004 Views)
Good to hear that it's all resolved!

IT departments only exist to make life more difficult for us, but we like the challenge of course! 😉

Good luck with your application!

Stuart

P.S. Feel free to rate the answers - feedback is always a good thing!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,999 Views)