Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Voltage Range on PXI-6025E

I am using a PXI-6025E card channels AI0 and AI8 differentially. Since the card is 12-bit I only get around a 4.88mV resolution from -10 to +10V. How do I change it, so that I am getting unipolar (0 to 10 volts) and my resolution is 2.44mV. MAX doesn't really seem to give me the option to change it (for testing purposes) and I really can't seem to do it programatically. I've tried a lot of NI examples, but none seem to do it, unless I am missing something. Some VI's say enter a low and high limit, but that doesn't seem to actally change my 4.88mV resolution.

I am trying to fix a problem where my voltage seems to jump around in increments of ~4.88mV, but my volt meter stays very constant. I did try averaging over 1000samples as
well. I need as much resolution and consistency as I can get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,263 Views)
Did you try setting up a virtual channel in Max. It is in that dialog/config screen that you are asked what the range of your signal is.

This is then used to configure the range that best fits your req's.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,263 Views)
Thanks, setting up a virtual channel helped. It turns out that the unipolar/bipolar setting cannot be altered on the 6025E (always bipolar), but I guess the gain is automatically adjusted when high and low limits are set. This is the feedback I got from an NI rep. My voltage still jumps around when I get down to 4 digits passed the decimal, but I think this might be do to the quantization error. I will be moving on to a 16-bit card eventually, so hopefully this takes care of that problem.

Thanks,
Rey
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,263 Views)
Thanks for the update.

I think you are right re:quantization.

Remeber, the data retuned from NI-DAQ is SGL. You will hit the SGL limit before you will find the limit of the 16 bit card.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,263 Views)