From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up a basic NI system for Data acquisition for measurement and analysis

Hello Guys,
We have an embedded system comprising of an array of TI C200 MCU processors controlling BLDC motors, which(TI C200 MCU processors) in turn receives command from a Microchip processor on CAN Bus.
 We have
   - The processors running on ~4.6 V, +20 mA
   - The motor actually operates on ~500V, +5A which interfaces with the Microcontroller using a Power Module.
   - Hall sensor, Heat sensor and Phase Direction Sensor and drive current sensor input to the TI C200 MC
What we are looking for is to set up a basic NI system for Data acquisition for measurement and analysis purposes for which, this is what I came up with:
   - Part#785040-01: NI 9207 Spring, 16-Ch voltage/current, 24-bit, 500 S/s AI module
   - Part#783338-01: NI CDAQ-9132 NI CompactDAQ, Atom 1.33 GHz ,16 GB, 4-Slot, Windows
   - Part#960680-100: NI Standard Service Program for Hardware (Duration of 3 year(s) for PN 783338-01)
   - Part#781093-01: NI PS-15 Power Supply, 24 VDC, 5 A, 100-120/200-240 VAC Input
   - Part#157253-01: Panel Mounting Kit for 4-Slot cRIO-903x/904x/905x and cDAQ-9132/9134
   - Part#778806-35: DIAdem Base, Perpetual License, Download
Now, the help I need from you guys is to confirm
Hardware:
   - If CompactDAQ is the right choice compared with CompactRIO considering we are not having any intention of controlling the devices but to collect data and perform analysis
   - If the selected configuration is good w.r.t. installation category
   - Do we need additional signal conditioning
   - Do we need any other accessories for the setup
Software:
   - I already have LabVIEW Professional Development System Software License, do I need anything additional to be able to set up the NI Data Acquisition System.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,510 Views)

Personally, I am not a fan of the embedded cDAQ.  I would rather use a standard PC or laptop with a USB or Ethernet cDAQ chassis.

As far as the module(s), what exactly are you trying to measure?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,471 Views)

Hello Knight of NI

I see your point, there is no reason for me to have an embedded CompactDAQ Controller and instead can use one of the Chassis.

The intent of building the system is to measure/analyze (1) 7 different sensor with output +-~5 Volts and (2) 8 of the GPIO Pins (3) (if not too much of a hassle) the motor current of +-5 Amps and (4) (preferably) CAN communications. The last two are not compulsory if the set up is costing too much.

Please suggest an Ethernet CompactDAQ Chassis and Voltage And/OR Current Input Module.

Also, please let me know if Flexlogger is worth it when I am already planning to have DIADEM.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,414 Views)

Hi JohnAzusa,

I would be interested to have a conversation with you regarding your application more in-depth. I think it would be good to talk about your requirements and talk through some of your questions such as your FlexLogger question. If this sounds like something you would be up for, please send me a personal message on here or reach out to me at tommy.glicker@ni.com.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Tommy

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,408 Views)