cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Multiple Channels Out of Order

Solved!
Go to solution

HI,

I have been coding LabVIEW a long time but reasonably new to using the DAQmx VIs.

I am taking a large number of thermocouple measurements using a PXI rack and a number of PXIe 4353 cards. There is in the order of 300 - 400 thermocouples.

I have loaded up an example VI from NI and installed the simulator for my 4353 cards and very happy everything is basically working. I can create a single task to scan over multiple channel and multiple cards I by using something like in the picture below to get the channels and cards into the task. I them take around 30 samples shots at a 1Hz rate.

image.png

However due to how the thermocouples are wired up I actually to reorder the results array to match up with displays and processing at a later stage. This new order may for example go slot1/ai13, slot5/ai10, slot1/ai1

There are two ways I can do and this both work, but I wondered if anyone could pass comment on the two methods, especially the first as I am not sure of the impact on the DAQmx task, but it seems the better idea.

Method 1 :

Create a very large and complex string in the Physical Channels input it sort of look like this 

"PXI1Slot4/ai3, PXI1Slot4/ai4, PXI1Slot4/ai1, PXI1Slot4/ai6, PXI1Slot4/ai7, PXI1Slot4/ai8, PXI1Slot5/ai9, PXI1Slot4/ai22, PXI1Slot4/ai23, PXI1Slot6/ai24, PXI1Slot4/ai25, PXI1Slot4/ai26, PXI1Slot4/ai27, PXI1Slot4/ai28, PXI1Slot4/ai29, PXI1Slot4/ai30, PXI1Slot4/ai31, PXI1Slot5/ai0, PXI1Slot5/ai1, PXI1Slot5/ai4, PXI1Slot5/ai3, PXI1Slot5/ai5, .... but a lot bigger. T

Creating this string is quite easy to do as I have channel and slot lists in a database.  This seems a good idea I set up the task once and get the correct information out with no extra work.

Method 2 

I simply reorder my results array using a reorder array I built from my database information. However in this case I will need to do this for ever loop of measurements I make.

thanks in advance 

Danny

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author danny_t

I am a firm believer in doing calculations as few times as possible and reduce what has to happen during test execution.  So I would go with Option 1 since this just requires one run of processing at the very beginning instead of every iteration as the test is running.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,261 Views)