From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading slightly off in differential mode in NI 9205

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a LVDT connected in differential mode in NI 9205 which is in NI cDAQ 9172. The full scale output signal is -10 VDC to + 10 VDC. The excitation voltage is +- 15VDC. I have positioned the LVDT to read -1400 mVDC on the digital multimeter (DMM), well it fluctuates between -1399 mVDC and -1400 mVDC. When I read that in Labview 8.5  the reading is around -1.410 VDC, fluctuates between -1.407 VDC and -1.414 VDC.  I know a 10 mVDC offset is not that much when my full scale output is -10 to 10 VDC and I am not losing my sleep over it. But I just wanted to know if this was normal.

The LVDT output signal is ground referenced (- terminal of the excitation and - terminal of output signal are tied; this is required) and I have connected this ground to COM port of NI 9205.

I also have a pressure transducer with floating ground whose output is 0 - 100 mVDC. I have connected this in differential mode too The + and - terminals of the output are connected to the ground/COM port using 100k ohm bias registers. In this case there is no offset at all. The DMM and Labview show the same reading. By the way I am simultaenously viewing the readings in Labview and DMM.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,220 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sharmaa

Hi sharmaa-

You can figure your offset error using pages 23 and 24 of the NI 9205 Operating Instructions and Specifications.  10 mV seems a little high for that particular card, but as you said, 0.1% is not that bad.  I would say you are right not to lose sleep over it.

Have a great weekend!

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(3,191 Views)