Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTD and USB 6210

Hi,

I am trying to collect some RTD data into labview with a USB 6210.  I've wired the RTD per the "Temperature Measurements with RTDs: How-To Guide" located here http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7115.  I have used an external power source of 5 mA.  I then tried to setup the data collection in the VI with the DAQ Assistant.  The settins have the following values:

Signal Input Range

Max = 100

Min = 0

Scaled Units = deg C

RTD Type = Pt 3851

Ro = 100

Configuration = 3-Wire

Iex Source = External

Iex Value (A) = 5m

The RTD is an RTD-810 from Omega Engineering, and according to their tech support this RTD qualifies as a "PT 3851 because it fits the european curve for RTD Temperature vs. Resistance.

When I click Run in the DAQ assistant to see some sample values, they are way off.  The DAQ assistant returns a value of a steady 318, while the RTD is sitting in the ambient air at about 20 C.  I also submerged the RTD in an ice bath and there was no change in the reading...

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,954 Views)

Hi DAQ Newbie,

I would suggest that you first of all check that you get variation from the device by looking at the analog channels in Measurement & Automation Explorer and open up a test panel. Here is a link to a detailed explanation of how to do this. What sort of variation are you expecting from the device? Have you verified that the device is changing in voltage by simply putting  a Digital Multimeter to it? 

Have you double checked both the wiring into the DAQ device and that you are using the DAQ Assistant to look at the correct channel?

Hope this helps,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,938 Views)