From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming real-time control in C with the USB-6009 board

Dear all,

I am trying to write a program in C (WinXP, MS Visual C++ 6.0) that uses a USB-6009 board to perform

real-time control, that is, each time the internal clock of the board ticks I need to execute the

following operations:

Step 1: read the values from 1 or more AD converters,

Step 2: perform some calculations with these values,

Step 3: then write some values to1 or more DA converters.

Step 4: wait until the next timer tick and go back to step 1.

I have already studied the documentation of the board and I have a working program.

The problem is, even if I just want to write to the DA the value that I get from the AD, there is a delay larger

than one sampling period between these operations. I am using an osciloscope to measure this delay.

My current program is as follows:

1) create and configure the tasks (AD and DA conversions, 1 input and 1 output):

DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxCreateTask("",&Tarefa_Entrada));
    DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxCreateTask("",&Tarefa_Saida1));
    DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan(Tarefa_Entrada,Canal_Entrada,"", Modo_Aquisicao, Tensao_Min_PE, Tensao_Max_PE, DAQmx_Val_Volts,NULL));
    DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxCreateAOVoltageChan(Tarefa_Saida1,Canal_Saida1,"", Tensao_Min_PS, Tensao_Max_PS, DAQmx_Val_Volts,""));

2) create the clock:
    DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming(Tarefa_Entrada,"",Amostras, DAQmx_Val_Rising,DAQmx_Val_ContSamps, (int64)Buffer));

3) start the tasks:

DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxStartTask(Tarefa_Entrada));
    DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxStartTask(Tarefa_Saida1));

4) execute the control loop:

printf("Starting the control loop ...\n\n");
    do{
        DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxReadAnalogF64(Tarefa_Entrada, 1, Timeout, DAQmx_Val_GroupByScanNumber, leitura, 2, &num_leit, NULL));
       /* CALCULATIONS*/

DAQmxErrChk (DAQmxWriteAnalogScalarF64(Tarefa_Saida1,1,Timeout,saida,NULL));
    }while(kbhit()==0); //Loop é interrompido quando alguma tecla é pressionada

What is wrong with this program? How I should modify it?

Many thanks for any help.

Cairo L. Nascimento Jr. and Jeeves L. dos Santos

ITA - Brazi

cairo@ita.br, jeeves@ita.br

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,255 Views)

Dear Cairo and Jeeves,

This USB-6009 take a longer time because it´s not used for real-time applications. This board takes the signal from AD and send it through DA, but the calculations aren´t made by the board.

National Instruments has products for applications that requests determinisms and real-time processor.

Refer the follow link for more information about Real-Time, but one important point to consider is how fast your application is.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3938

Regards

Jailton – NIB – SR 1246123
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,198 Views)