Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming PLL to lock on low frequencies (~200Hz)

Dear Madam/Sir,

I have an experimental setup of a plate rotating at ~200Hz. I read a short pulse per each revolution of the plate (light sensor &slit).  

I'm trying to lock on the frequency and phase using PLL  but I've encountered two main difficulties:

1. It seems that the PLL.vi is able to lock only on sinusoidal or rectangular pulses signals. Is there another vi i should use or there is a way to overcome this problem in the PLL.vi (my signal is more or less a delta function per revolution)? 

2. I find it difficult to lock on frequencies lower then ~300Hz even when I use a chopper that creates a nice rectangular signal and playing with the lock parameters (TC duration, LPF info, etc.). Is there anything I could do in order to improve the PLL's performance at low frequencies?

Thanks,

Shani Rosen

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The School of Engineering and Computer Science
The Department of  Applied Physics
Tel: +972 2 658 6401
Email: shaniro26@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,139 Views)

Where is this PLL.vi coming from? Could you provide more information about your current application and how you are implementing a phase lock loop?

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,122 Views)

1 pulse per revolution seems too little.  Try adding more evenly spaced slots to your wheel then compensate for pulses per revolution in the vi.  The more slots, the better the resolution.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,115 Views)

I have similar problem. I am using HEF4046B to lock AC signal and a fan rotating at 60Hz. How do you solve your problem?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,694 Views)

Hey RaymondTan,

To get more visibility on our forums, I would suggest creating a new forum post and referencing this one. In general, we recommend not commenting on very old posts as they have very low visibility.

Regards,

Hannah L.

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments 

www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,682 Views)