From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic DAQ shutdown

Using an OEM USB-6008 I am experiencing the same symptoms described in the post below:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D44312CF1A49FD638625723A00192681

However, I have removed all devices from the 5V line and the problem persists.  Are there any other causes of this sort of shutdown aside from overdrawing from the 5V line?

I am currently using 3 analog output lines for 0-5V control signals and 1 analog input to recieve 0-5V signals.  I am also using the 8 channel digital output.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,240 Views)

Check your USB bus power settings in Windows.  Windows 7 has this feature where it will turn off the USB bus power to save energy.  You can go into the device manager and turn that off.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,236 Views)

Thanks for the quick advice!  I've changed the setting and it is still occurring.  I am using the 8 channel digital output to control this relay board:

https://www.futurlec.com/Relay_8.shtml

The shutdown seems like it usually occurs while relays are being switched.  Is it possible that this could cause the DAQ shutdown?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,222 Views)

The 6008 has open collector outputs.  Which mean all of the driving current is coming from the 5V.  What is likely happening is when you have many relays turned on the DAQ goes into a power reset mode.

I would add another 5V power supply to pull up the lines.  This will allow some extra current to drive the relay controls.  Something like a 1kOhm would be a good pull up.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,212 Views)

Could also be a large reverse-current spike from the relays... make sure there's protection diodes in the conditioning circuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,176 Views)

I've looked more closely at the relay board, and it looks as though it has built in flyback protection, so that is not likely the problem.

With regard to adding another supply to "pull up the lines", I am fairly novice with electronics and want to make sure I do this properly to avoid damage to the DAQ.  Does the diagram below show what you were describing crossrulz? If not would you be able to help get me on the right track?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,154 Views)

I've looked more closely at the relay board, and it looks as though it has built in flyback protection, so that is not likely the problem.

With regard to adding another supply to "pull up the lines", I am fairly novice with electronics and want to make sure I do this properly to avoid damage to the DAQ.  Does the diagram below show what you were describing crossrulz? If not would you be able to help get me on the right track?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,153 Views)

That is exactly what I am proposing.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,137 Views)