From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe 6363 collects data in MAX and labview. Cannot find signal in MAX (test panel) (or labview)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I have a windows 10 64 bit LV 2020 sp1 and updated drivers (fresh install) embeded 8133 controller in a 1075 PXIe chassis.

I have a PXIe 6363 card with two 68 pin leads and sc 68 pin out/break out boxes.  Was abled to collect GB of data from AI channels using (simple ) VI (basically the example supplied).

Wanted to use same 6363 card and breakout box to generate sine signal.

Tried in various orders:

MAX test panels.  Test panel shows nice "sine wave" but cannot measure any signal with 3rd party oscilloscope. Tried various Vmax, all interrupts versions (DMA, default)

Taken card out and re-inserted in same and different slots.  I have tried in hybrid and non hybrid slots.  Do I need to be particular with H or PXIe slots with PXIe 6363 card?

Card passes self test and self calibration.

Connectivity trace from "pins to break out board" show positive contact on pins of interest (22, 55 and 21, 54) (ie continuity checks out; no breaks from pins at card through to board).

There is no 5V  power on pin 14 or 8  (voltmeter to AO ground).  Not sure if this is "always on or needs to be switched on."  Fuse is correct (shows conductivity with DC).

In test panel tried DC test with start/ set feature but stop button is grey out.  Is this normal? (no DC voltage measured with voltmeter on pins 22/55/21/54 or any combination there of).

in test panel get pretty picture of sine/square/triangle waves at correct dialled in frequency.  No signal observed on any pin.

Tried myDAQ test panel and saw signal and measured signal straight away.  Tried measuring signal from test panel (PXIe 6363) with myDAQ and saw only "noise" with faint saw tooth nature at 1- 2 mV and 50-55 HZ  on pins.  (Voltage set to 2-5 V on test panel for 6363).  MHz scan with oscilloscope shows 1-2 mV  50-60 Hz signal (and very noisy with High frequency components to  MHz).

Many restarts obviously.  Tried a very different card in a different system (PXI 6205 in a PXI system) and almost "same" result on test panel with myDaq and oscilloscope.  Same result with a PXI 6239 (not sure it can be used in PXIe system I have not been able to verify).

DAQmx version is current is 20 and is installed in 64 bit system. I am hoping that this is 64 bit driver.  It works wonderfully for data capture on PXIe 6363 card.

I really only use example VI and test panel; I did  try and write a "comprehensive" VI (channels, frequency, amplitude, start DAQ, write) but saw no output on pins.  

My concern is the lack of 5V on pin 8/14 and zero physical output on AOO / AO2 (I tried AO 3 and AO4 too).

Is it worth completing a fresh install  (this seems to take me ~ 3 hours)   (on third fresh install)?

Am I missing something or not completing a test correctly?   Can cards  be tested in different ways or is it back to NI for a recalibration?

I have run out of ideas for testing / fixing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,173 Views)

Sorry for the "are you sure it's plugged in?" kind of questions, but it's about all i can come up with.

1. Any possibility you're mistaking a simulated device for your real one?   Did you check that the GB of AI data was real?   A simulated device would have delivered noisy sine wave data.

2. Any chance of mistake when tracing which of the 2 breakout boxes to inspect or which of the 2 device-side connectors is relevant?   Connector 1 will have a unique pinout for your specific device wheres connector 0 will (generally) match with NI's long-time default pinout for MIO devices.

3. SCB-68's have 3 slide switches -- have you confirmed that they're set correctly for your device?  (This *might* be a reason you don't see 5V, but shouldn't prevent normal AO from showing up).

4. You mentioned using test panel to produce sine/square/triangle.  I only see the sine option in MAX.  The example programs give options for waveform shapes like square and triangle though.  These would look fine in the UI window with either a real or a simulated device.

5. I'm unfamiliar with myDAQ, so no ability to comment there.

Beyond that, I'd be suspicious of the device too, though I don't think I've ever heard of that particular failure mode where all channels of AO are damaged while AI works fine.  Multiplexed AI can get channels knocked out all at once due to their shared A/D converter, but AO channels each have their own D/A's and should fail individually.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,125 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I am more convinced I am doing something wrong as you point as the DAC are for each channel AO (which makes sense) and all channels seems unlikely.

I will reset everything; all cards out, reinstall Labview/MAX/DAQmx  and start from scratch with only one card in.

I think (or hope) that MAX test panels should "be active" (ie not "virtual" ) and yes you are correct: only DC or sine wave on MAX test panels (I tried the other functions in lab view).

I did check the AI data again (slight worry!) but data shows all the frequency ranges I was studying; actually I need to reduce frequency of measurements as only a few are at "moderate frequency," most are low (100=1000 Hz).  

The myDAQ was just to check my sanity:  it is active in MAX test panels and labview. I can use the myDAQ as a quick  oscilloscope set up on the laptop too.

As far as I am aware I should not need to set any additional power lines to the card (eg a GPU requires additional power lines from the PSU as well as the PCIE to function correctly) as that is all sorted out "on the back-pane" inside the chassis.

I will carry on using an external signal generator as the AI data is working great (I can get FT all frequencies measured).

I cannot think of any more testing I can do!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ChemPC

Hi, Assuming that the module is passing self-test and self-calibration - the module is working perfectly fine. If there were issues with driver or hardware, self test and self-calibration will not pass. I am thinking, your are not using right cable to connect DAQ and Connector block.

NI sells many VHDCI 68 cables to work with DAQ, HSDIO, R series modules etc. Not all the cables are same and can't be used with any other products.

Following cable PN's are compatible with PXIe 6363:

1. SHC68-68-EPM (Recommended,Shielded)
  2. SHC68-68(Basic Shielding)
  3. RC68-68(Low Cost)
  4. SHC68-C68-EPM(Custom Connectivity

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dharani | CLA | CTD
Message 4 of 5
(1,109 Views)

Hi thanks for heads up!  The person whom bought the two cables and two SCB68 obviously did not realise they are not compatible! (as myself I guess).

I have bought a EPM cable and system was up and running within about 3 minutes!  The card self tests and calibrates correctly.  I was able to AO and AI correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,047 Views)