From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-6341 only reading 15 bit when in RAW.

Solved!
Go to solution

Good morning,

I have a project where I am using a PXIe-6341 that is reading a 0-10VDC signal from an instrument. The end user only wants to take the ADC "counts" for the values, we are not scaling any of the values. 

I have the virtual channel set for Max 10, Min 0. According to everything I have read, this should put the channel into a uni-polar mode and a gain of 1. 

When we collect data, we are seeing the maximum value of 32767 for a saturated value of 10V that we expect for a specific scenario. 

We were expecting to see values from 0-65535.

I do have the channel read set for RAW 1D U16, so I should be getting unsigned numbers from 0-65535. 

Am I missing something? We dont have any values going negative in this case but it appears that the board is only acquiring data in 15 bits and not 16.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,539 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StevenHowell_XOM

A quick look at the summary spec sheet seems to only list bipolar voltage ranges.   Though a little surprising, I think the most likely explanation is that you don't get the option to spread 16 bits across the 0 to +10 volt range, you're stuck spreading them across the -10 to +10 range.  Hence only 15 bits for the positive side.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(2,511 Views)

Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I looked all through the NI website and I was not able to find the answer to this simple question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,461 Views)