From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 6143 Reference Trigger with SCXI1520

I have 12 PXI 6143 modules connected in parallel to 12 SCXI 1520 modules using a cable directly from the 68pin connector on the 6143 to the 50pin connector on the back of the 1520.  I need to trigger all the channels using a reference trigger.  From what I understand of the PXI 6143 module the best way to do that is to use the PFI 1 terminal.  The problem is that the cable  connecting the 6143 and the 1520 prevents me from accessing the PFI terminal without a breakout box.  Is there an easy way to send a reference trigger to the 6143s without creating a breakout box to access the PFI terminals on the front of the 6143 module?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,754 Views)

Hi Brian,

One way you can acces the PFI line by the way you system configure is by using the breakout box like you already said. A workaround is explained here in this knowdledge base, which tells how to do it using a SCXI-1180 to access the DIO. Basically you are going to be able to access those lines from the SCXI-1180 make sure to very carefully check the reserved PFI lines.  Even if this is for M and E series just make sure that you are not using PFI lines that are reserve for other events like PFI0/Start Trigger.  Also take a look at this KB.  Another way is to use the PXI_TRIG lines in the backplane to trigger all the channels, please refer to this link:  and just for reference if you can take a look to this link also: Also another option is to use a PXI-6651 and use the StartTrigger to trigger all you channel in the scxi-1520. I hope I was able to help you.

Jaime Hoffiz
National Instruments
Product Expert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,719 Views)