Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-1033 Linux

Hello

I want to connect PXI-1033 to a PC of LinuxOS.

I installed the following software.

NIDAQ800_redHat.iso
NIKAL20.iso

In addition, I copied a chassis file from an NI PXI platform Serv2.5.1 CD.
(National Instruments PXI-1033.ini)

Therefore I operated the next.
# nipxiconfig --unidentify-all
# nipxiconfig --identify-chassis 1 "/etc/natinst/nipxi/HardwareDescriptions/chassis/National Instruments PXI-1033.ini"
ERROR: Identify chassis failed with status -95200

An error occurred here.

However, PXI-1000B succeeded

What will you do?
Please teach it who it is.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,829 Views)

Good morning, s.imazu!

I remember you need NI-VISA for PXI-1033.
Did you try installing NI-VISA that you can download from the URL below?

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/ps/10/sn/catnav:du,ssnav:sup/q/VISA%20Linux/ses/false/

Make sure you get the one that is suitable for your Linux as attached screen shot!
Good Luck!

Lonestar

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,788 Views)

Thank you, Lonestar

I installed NI-VISA-5.0.0.iso.

but,same result.

PC and PXI-1033 chassis are connected in PCI-Express.

Will not PXI-1033 be usable?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,779 Views)

There is a possibility that the chassis is broken..(or it could be the module in the chassis..)

Could you tell me why you installed NIKAL20 or the chassis file?  So I bet you have 2 chassis, PXI-1033 and PXI-1000B?
What is the controller used in the chassis PXI-1000B?  The information about the OS and screenshots on MAX(measurement and Automation Explore) and the error window will be helpful.  

Best regards,

Lonestar

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,759 Views)

Hello.

> Could you tell me why you installed NIKAL20 or the chassis file?

NIKAL20 is the latest driver for NIDAQmx.
The chassis file is necessary for nimxiconfig.

> So I bet you have 2 chassis, PXI-1033 and PXI-1000B?
Yes, I  have 2 chassis.

> What is the controller used in the chassis PXI-1000B?

PXI-8360(MXI-Express)

> The information about the OS and screenshots on MAX(measurement and Automation Explore) and the error window will be helpful.  
There is not NI-MAX for Linux.

The Error Message is

"ERROR: Identify chassis failed with status -95200"

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,750 Views)

Thank you, S.Imazu

I apologize for the late response, I have studied on the environment of Linux and PXI-settups.
NI-KAL is not a driver but rather the Kernal Abstraction Layer to communicate with Linux.  When the driver is installed, a version of NI-KAL is installed with the driver and no additional installation is necessary.  Upgrading NI-KAL would add Kernel Support that was not available when DAQmx 8.0 was released; however, only RedHat Linux Enterprise WS 3 is officially supported by DAQmx 8.0.  Upgrading NI-KAL to a later version would not add any other RedHat version support.  If you want to use another version of RedHat Linux, then you will need to use the version of DAQmx Base that supports the version.  If issues occur with DAQmx on a non-supported OS, then NI would not be able to provide much assistance to us as it is not support nor tested.

Hardware drivers aside, this does not affect whether or not the chassis is recognized. PCI to PCI bridges should be recognized by the system without any additional drivers installed"  A MXI Express controller is a PCI bridge that is seen during bootup of the BIOS that recognizes a PXI chassis as extra PCI slots.  Whether or not the chassis is recognized has no dependency on the drivers for the hardware inside the chassis.  A PXI chassis should be able to be connected to any computer via a bridge and be recognized by the computer.  Have you tried the chassis on another computer?  Is this a new chassis?  Has it been used before?  A MXI system is computer dependent as explained in this Developer Zone article. Are you able to identify the controller as in this Knowledge Base article? Where exactly does the error occur during the setup process?  Please provide screenshots.  There is a device manager in Linux.  Does the bridge show here?  It needs to be determined if the issue is with the hardware or software.

For clarification, a MXI connection is a remote PXI controller versus an embedded controller like the NI 8106.  A Support Portal of "DAQmx Linux" returns this article which I think will be beneficial.  Where did you obtain the chassis files?  

Tips to Help You Successfully Use NI MXI-Express Controllers
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9949

Test panels for DAQmx in Linux
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7CA34DED30E2E162862573B100545808?OpenDocument

Configuring Your PXI System in Linux
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0D17FF318206CFE6862570DF000C0151?OpenDocument

Desktop and hardware configuration
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/hal/

Hope these help!
Best Regards,

Lonestar,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,684 Views)

Thank you for a splendid answer.
I served as a reference very much.

> Where did you obtain the chassis files?  

There was the file in a CD(NI PXI platform Services 2.5.1)  included in a box of PXI-1033 which I purchased.

I was not able to look for that PXI-1033(MXI-e) was supported from information that you taught and other web.

I hope that NI company asserts in that PXI-1033 can work on Linux platform.

Best Regards,

S.Imazu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,668 Views)

Hello.

There was communication of the advice when I told this story to an account executive of NI(japan) company.

I transfer below the advice. ( He referred to NI(USA).)

> We were able to set up a system an identify a 1033 chassis using Red Hat
> 5.5 and NI Platform Services 2.6.
>
> To do so, we used nipxiconfig to identify the PXI chassis' Bus Address as
> a chassis.  From the files we have from the customer it looks like they're
> chassis' backplane has bus address 5, so the command that they need to run
> on there system should be:
> nipxiconfig --identify-bus-as-chassis 5
> "/etc/natinst/nipxi/HardwareDescriptions/chassis/National Instruments
> PXI-1033.ini"

An error did not occur this time.

Thank you.